Please read and help me

I have a decision to make and I don't know where to start. I have been through several upgrades in my system and they were not always the right choice. I recently changed preamps and did not like my choice at all.
My system: Rogue magnum M120 mono's, Proac Studio 250 speakers. Vpi HW19jr TT w/ grado Reference sonata Cartridge. And Graham Slee Era gold phono stage. I just recently tried the Blue Circle BC3 pre and I didn't like it at all. I gave it 1 month and just couldn't take it. Some music it was the best I ever heard and others it was not comparable to my previous Rogue magnum 99 it replaced.
Well, I have sold the BC3. Now my wife has asked me a favor. She said if I take the money that I got from the sale of the BC3 and use it to pay are slip fee at the lake, in the fall I could buy any preamp I want. Of course I am jumping on this chance because I will be spending most of my free time on the boat anyways this summer.
Now my problem. I am looking for a cheap pre to get me through to the fall. $500 - $700.
I have looked at several choices. CJ pv series products. I see a AE-1 going cheap, and some ARC sp and sl series products. I want the sound a tad laid back. I listen to a lot of 70's rock, and with the BC3 it was just not a pretty sight. I want a lush sound and not overly bright. Can any of you experts help me make a choice here?
scottht

Showing 1 response by danielk141

Adcom GFP 750. One gain stage. You can choose active or passive mode. About $700.00 here on Audiogon used.
The only warning is the RCAs are too close for big barrelled cables like Transparent, Ixos Ixotica...
If you're using balanced cables, not an issue.
You can sell within a year for what you paid.