Please help with balanced interconnects!

Please, somebody, I need help. I yielded to temptation and bought a new preamp. I had previously been running a Sony SCD-1 with the analog out(SACD) and the digital out through a DAC. These had been going through a midfi HT processor with RCA inputs only. Well, I bought a new preamp(through Audiogon, of course!). The preamp only has balanced connections. I had bought some balanced IC's in anticipation of this. So I hooked every thing up and settled in to listen to the music. Nothing!. I went and checked all the connections. I settled back in and ...nothing. In desperation I actually reread the manuals of the preamp, the DAC and the SCD-1.It appears as if the preamp has balanced connections with pin 2 + and pin 3-. The DAC is reversd as is the Sony. Could this be the problem? if so, please help. TIA, David
deshapiro

Showing 1 response by whknopp0713

I think your trouble is that you are trying to carry a single-ended source through a balanced cable. What you need is a single-ended cable that is terminated in XLR on the preamp end. You are right, of course, to be careful about which pin is hot with such a cable. Try calling the Cable Co. I used to have a single-ended preamp that used XLR connections, and I had Straight Wire and Cardas make cables that are RCA on the source end and XLR on the other. No problem. I also wonder about your pre-to-power connection. If your preamp puts out balanced and your amp's inputs are single, you may have the same problem in reverse.