Please help troubleshoot HK AVR7200 problem.....

Hello to everyone and Happy New Year. I was sitting on the couch watching Dick Clark on tv when my receiver seemed to turn itself off. The only sound was a small click just like I hit the power button on the remote. I tried to power the unit back up with no success. I looked for a reset button on the receiver but found nothing. I bought this new 2 years ago from an online retailer. This was their top of the line AVR at the time and weighs 60lbs. Any ideas of what could have happened. It has worked perfectly. I tried unplugging it and letting it sit for a little while. It wasn't hot to the touch when this happened. I am baffled. Any ideas of what happened and how to fix it? Thanks for your help.

Nick
nicksgem10s

Showing 1 response by dreamst8

I don't know your level of experience, but I will give you some basic ideas where to look...Have you opened the case and checked to see if the board fuse has blown? I know, thats a simple question, but sometimes there is a second board mounted fuse. Another thing, try a different outlet....have you checked the power supply to see if 1) it is receiving voltage, 2) is it coming out the other side...and are there any broken resisitors, triacs, regulators etc...did it smell burnt at all? I would take it apart, get a bright flashlight shining on the board and just stare at it and look at a 4" square at a time to just look for something that doesnt look right. Its the little things that need to be checked along with some obvious...If its not visual, it very well could be just a failed piece of the boards components that didn't fry, but it tripped the protection circuit..for your benefit...Good Luck...