Please help! - Buy VPI Classic or keep Technics 1200

I've got upgraditis and am thinking about treating myself to a new audio component for Christmas.  I currently have a Technics 1200 with a Denon 103R cartridge and a heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono stage.  Yes it sounds fantastic but I don't know what I am missing with a VPI Classic or similar table.  There isn't a place close to me where I can go for a demo.  

My question is for you experts - would there be a substantial sound improvement with a VPI Classic  or Classic 2 table if I were to invest the $4,000 in comparison to my Technics 1200?  Would it take the sound to a higher level?  (which is something that I am looking for).  I don't really care about aesthetics or bragging rights but what I do care about is performance and functionality.
audioman2015
If your heart is set on a VIP, then I agree with gshepardbuster, go for the VIP, it will be an improvement. Or you can drive yourself crazy and look into other turntables and the Phono-Preamps that have been suggested, (that you didn't inquire about), the list will never end...

Thank you for all the helpful responses, it was a lot to consider.  I have decided not to purchase and keep using the Technics until I can verify the amount of improvement a new turntable will provide given the cost.  
If you go VPI consider this:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649314923-vpi-classic-1-piano-black-plinth-jwm-105i-arm/
to limit your risk. You could keep the 1200, buy this, if you don't love the VPI, resell for same dollars and then go the KAB-Technics, Audiomods upgrade route. It will be easy to sell your stock 1200, but once you invest in the mods, it will be much tougher to recoup if you don't love it. That being said, they can sound great with major upgrades, but that route is not for everyone.
This suggestion suits you if you aren't really sure either way. Cheers,
Spencer
You never made clear: old SL1200 or new SL1200?  The new model may be another option for you, if you want to upgrade.  Although Technics made them to look the same and gave them the same name, the new SL1200 should sound noticeably superior to the old, based on a look under the hood, so to speak.  Better and different motor, better drive system, sturdier construction, better bearing, better tonearm.