Please help an aging, music deprived mom

Many (actually 18) years ago when I was back in England and didn't have children wanting to listen to "their" music all the time I had a system. A & R Cambridge A60 amp, Linn sondek LP12 turntable (don't remember the arm), Linn Index speakers with stands, Denon CD player (don't remember the tuner).

I then moved to USA - left behind the vinyl records and Linn turntable (temporary insanity I know). Ran the amp on a transformer for many years until it just fried. I do remember the deonon cd player died because my oldest daughter (bless her cotton socks) wanted to see how cheese would sound - I think we all know the answer to that!!

A tape deck found it's way to landfill after a second experiment by daughter number 1 was tried investigating the sound produced from a slice of apple (as if information from the first experiment wasn't enough - sigh). By the way smart children will always figure out any childproofing you try unless it's packaging stuff up and putting it in storage!!

To add insult to injury the movers just lost my speaker stands - another sigh!!

SO... I have my Linn Index speakers and a Marantz cd 67SE. I REALLY would appreciate advice on an amp and tuner. I'm rather inclined to go with vintage pieces (being a bit of a vintage model myself). I listen to classical, mainly piano and jazz (cd) and radio. This will be MY system (no Wiggles music will be played on this!!) in My space, a room about 20 X 15 X 8.

Valves, or solid?
Vintage or new? (not so keen on the too bright sound of most new)
Suitable replacement stands?
I'm willing to spend about $750 on an amp and $350 on a tuner - but would go a bit higher if convinced it would be worth my while.

I am swimming in indecision and would really appreciate advice in clarifying brands, models etc. This site has been so helpful in bringing me a little up to date, but I would like help narrowing down the choice.
kayandemma

Showing 1 response by mt10425

Look, apples sound bad no matter what year they were produced, but cheese on the other hand........it really depends on the cheese. I second NAD equipment and Signal cable. If you miss your Linn LP12, I saw one on the "Gon" a couple of days ago under $1000. I've owned my share of NAD along the way (I'm also an older, no make that veteran, experienced music lover) and the sound has always been very listenable and enjoyable if not spectacular. I make my children hurry and eat their food if I see them within 10 feet of my equipment!