Please help a newbie Choose, whats the best preamplifier for $1000 or less used

Hi Everyone,

Still new here and learning, the help from this site has been amazing! I am trying to choose between 3 Preamplifiers and could use some help again. My power amp's are original Dynaco MK3 monoblocks unmodded and speakers are Wilson Audio Watt2 puppy 3's. I use a Pro-Ject Pre Box s2 digital DAC (that I want to upgrade next) and a U-turn Turntable (also a needs upgrading) I would take a built-in Phono or I can use and outboard one Should I go for a modern Pre like the Schitt Autio or a VTL 2.5 version 1 that is 10 years old? Or my 3rd choice right now is the AR LS-7 because I always wanted to try AR. I have read a Modern Pre is geat with vintage Tubes.

On a side note, I can also buy locally a Musical Fidelity A308CR for a few hundred more or a Quicksilver for about the same price. The budget is under $1,000 and I have no idea what to do. I do know I like a warm musical sound signature and not analytic. I love the holographic thing and a good soundstage. i also have a Mcintosh MC225 that needs more efficient speakers and I'm hoping to use it with that in the future. Crap that's a lot of Pre's to choose from. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I hope everyone is healthy and safe during this Madness. John
128x128johnwahl

Showing 1 response by petg60

Hi,
if you want to try ARC then SP-9MKII, MKIII or SP-14 would be fine.
They carry an excellent phono stage also.