Please help a newbie Choose, whats the best preamplifier for $1000 or less used

Hi Everyone,

Still new here and learning, the help from this site has been amazing! I am trying to choose between 3 Preamplifiers and could use some help again. My power amp's are original Dynaco MK3 monoblocks unmodded and speakers are Wilson Audio Watt2 puppy 3's. I use a Pro-Ject Pre Box s2 digital DAC (that I want to upgrade next) and a U-turn Turntable (also a needs upgrading) I would take a built-in Phono or I can use and outboard one Should I go for a modern Pre like the Schitt Autio or a VTL 2.5 version 1 that is 10 years old? Or my 3rd choice right now is the AR LS-7 because I always wanted to try AR. I have read a Modern Pre is geat with vintage Tubes.

On a side note, I can also buy locally a Musical Fidelity A308CR for a few hundred more or a Quicksilver for about the same price. The budget is under $1,000 and I have no idea what to do. I do know I like a warm musical sound signature and not analytic. I love the holographic thing and a good soundstage. i also have a Mcintosh MC225 that needs more efficient speakers and I'm hoping to use it with that in the future. Crap that's a lot of Pre's to choose from. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I hope everyone is healthy and safe during this Madness. John
128x128johnwahl

Showing 1 response by millercarbon

I like a warm musical sound signature and not analytic. I love the holographic thing and a good soundstage.

So what are you doing with separates? You can't get anywhere near as good quality with separates as with an integrated amp. Certainly not at this budget level. Sell the amps, up the budget to $3k and get everything you want - holographic, warm musical sound- and more with a Raven integrated. https://www.ravenaudio.com/product/nighthawk-mk3-tube-amplifier/
Your Wilson's will sing with this better than anything you can afford with separates.