Please give me advice about an ARC VT 200 amp

In a few days I'll be the owner of an ARC VT 200.  I've never owned a tube amp, much less one of this size.  I'm reluctant to plug in this amp for fear that there may be some considerations that I'm overlooking.  I haven't found much info about the operation but I did read that a variac should be used to bring the voltage up, and that a shorting pin needs to be installed in the balanced inputs if the single ended inputs are used.  I've never heard of either a variac or shorting pin, and I'm wondering if you could please give me your thoughts about these items, as well as anything else that I should take into consideration before plugging it in, and during use.  

I will be using the single ended inputs.  The amp has not been turned on for 3 years.  I was told that the owner was fastidious about the maintenance of the electronics and the tubes.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
irish_tim
I have huge respect for audiophiles that are going with tube amps. I think this is  THE WAY to go if someone wants real and full tube sound. I don t think going tube preamp and ss amp is the right way, as I beleive messing with tube in the preamp signal stage is not the purist way. ( same issue with messing with tubes in the dac).
@atmasphere I am surprised you dismissed using a variac especially with an expensive amp full of electrolytics not used for 3 years. Also surprised about not loading the outputs. If anything was to go wrong, it is good practice to protect the amp. Maybe you can get away with winging it in the lab but isn't it better to give an unwary first time monster tube amp the safest instruction?

I am surprised about the hesitation to power it up after being stored for only 3 years. That doesn't seem very long at all. We took my father's D-79 that wasn't powered-up for about 15 years and plugged it directly into the wall (didn't have a big enough variac available) and no problem. Maybe just got lucky but ARC tends to use high quality components especially back in those days. It seems 3 years is nothing.
I agree with j_stereo, that 3 years does not seem long enough to pose a problem for the caps. The 6922 tube bias thing is however, extremely real and they are a bit of a pain in the a$$ to bias, requiring 2 digital multi meters, some expertise and patience. Best left to someone with experience. Improper driver tube bias can/will take out output tube(s), final resistors and possible cause mini-fire.