Please give me advice about an ARC VT 200 amp

In a few days I'll be the owner of an ARC VT 200.  I've never owned a tube amp, much less one of this size.  I'm reluctant to plug in this amp for fear that there may be some considerations that I'm overlooking.  I haven't found much info about the operation but I did read that a variac should be used to bring the voltage up, and that a shorting pin needs to be installed in the balanced inputs if the single ended inputs are used.  I've never heard of either a variac or shorting pin, and I'm wondering if you could please give me your thoughts about these items, as well as anything else that I should take into consideration before plugging it in, and during use.  

I will be using the single ended inputs.  The amp has not been turned on for 3 years.  I was told that the owner was fastidious about the maintenance of the electronics and the tubes.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
irish_tim

Showing 1 response by techno_dude

I have huge respect for audiophiles that are going with tube amps. I think this is  THE WAY to go if someone wants real and full tube sound. I don t think going tube preamp and ss amp is the right way, as I beleive messing with tube in the preamp signal stage is not the purist way. ( same issue with messing with tubes in the dac).