Please evaluate my system...

Interested in what you guys think of the following and if there are any obvious weaknesses:

- VPI Super Scoutmaster (standard)
- Denon DL103 with Paratrace retip
- Linn Linto phono stage
- Audio Research Ref 3 preamp
- Cyrus APA7.5 Monoblocks
- Focal Scala Utopia III Version 1

Not sure where to take the system next! Thanks, Tim

tim_field
Tim, it sounds like , in all, you are quite happy with your system and in all, are quite satisfied with what you hear. While upgrades, or supposed upgrades will always be a part of the audiophile bug, there will always be fan boys (who mean well) that want to sell you on what they like. I’m sure you have what you have, at least for now, for a good reason and it is all good stuff. Take most to heart, those who have suggested using what you have and making little tweaks that may or may not help - speaker placement, minor adjustments to room treatment, experiment with cost effective dampening, coupling or isolation products or methods and better electrical connections, etc. Sometimes, very little changes in any, or all of these things can make for a real "WOW, I’d never have thought" experience...JMO...Jim
Hey Papa, I don't have any booming bass in the room, I can try my bass traps as I've mentioned but I'm not seeing any major issues at the moment. What should I be listening for to show I need this?

I will take a look at the mains filtering and possibly a dedicated circuit.

Any cheap isolation devices that work well? I've run quite a few expensive ones over my time and few do much to the sound. I have some original stillpoints and can't hear the difference with them on. 

Cheers, Tim
Tim, I know the 103 has been all the rage for the last decade. But can it REALLY compete with better & more expensive cartridges? Some....maybe. But I doubt it will compete with the better Benz or Zyx or Lyra, etc. I had the Scoutmaster and found it to be a very good TT. I did upgrade the arm to the one with silver wiring and heard a good amount of difference. I have slowly climbed the cartridge ladder and am amazed at the difference which cartridges can make. I'm also a big believer in the importance of a Good phono preamp. I'm not familiar with the linn. But I've been down the upgrade path with phono preamps too and cannot stress the importance of them in the chain. I've played atround with isolation devices too. I use roller blocks (Google Diyumas) They make a difference but mainly under source equipment, ie CD player. I use sand box under my TT. I was also surprised at the difference a dedicated circuit made...and more surprised at how much better an Oyaide R1 AC outlet made.  IMO, you have a very good start on a very good system. Your ears confirm that. Yet I don't see a subwoofer or a digital player listed. But maybe you don't need those. Like many others, I question your phono preamp and cartridge and your arm. 

all the best
art
Second the Lyra Delos recommendation. I'm running a VPI with a Delos through a Manley Chinook phono stage. The improvement with the Delos was NOT subtle. I've also read the Soundsmith cartridge is a great match but don't have direct experience.