Please...dont flame me (Bose 901-Series I help)

OK,

So I absolutely understand the angst that these particular speakers/brand can elicit.

However, these particular speakers (the series I in particular) have always been on my bucket list since my pre-teens. They were my first exposure to anything resembling high fidelity, thus, I have always wanted a pair.

Now in my mid 40’s...ahem....I had a pair dropped in my lap for no $$$. Cherry condition, original drivers and original EQ (crossover).

My quandary is this, I only have this Yamaha RX-V461 multi media receiver to drive them. On paper, the RMS per channel is 100WPC. The issue is, I just do not feel like the speakers are getting enough juice to really make them sing.

Placement and listening room requirements are met, and in all honesty, the sound pretty damn good at high volume. Its just that I get the feeling that the receiver gets a little winded and sounds a little artificial to my ear.

I am hoping that swapping in either a power amp (using the Yamaha as a pre-amp) or an analogue "Beast" vintage receiver will warm up and fill out the sound at all volume levels.

I have this rig set up as a secondary, "just for ----- and giggles" rig. Currently using an MP3 player as a source, with plans for a single CD player here shortly. I used a friends CD player as source prior, so the issue I am thinking is indeed the amp.....i think.

I am hoping that someone here could give me some ideas as to what to look for as a good match up for these speakers. Cheap is good, "sleeper amps" are always a joy, so if there is a little known but desirable rig (think Realistic STA-2100) I am all ears.....haha....get it? All ears.....?
morwatts
Welcome to the "GON. What does your main system consist of ? As you mentioned, this is a 2ndary rig, assuming your main rig has a better amplifier to try. You are also used to the sound of the main rig. 2ndly, the 901s properly set up, reflect 8 of the 9 drivers off the wall behind them, and some, or much of that sound might be lost ( you would need the Bose pedestals, or suspend them from the ceiling ), to hear effectively the reflecting principal. The eq should be wired between the pre amp and power amp stage ( assuming it is the only pair of speakers being driven by the Yammi ) using decent to good cables Tape monitor the 2nd choice ). The wall behind them should be wide, and windows and furniture along that wall should be eliminated ( if you have them at seated ear height ). I had them as a pre teen, and had fun with them. Yes, I did use them with many amps. A Citation 16a, and an Ampzilla were the 2 best I had at that time. I also had a tube pre amp, and a few good ss pre amps. Did not keep the Bose long. Assuming you have the 901s set up as I have described, 200 wpc would be appropriate ( Adcom GFA 555, Carver equivalent ). Hope this helps. They are not hi end, as you know. Most panel speakers and omnis today at least direct 40 - 50 % of the sound at the listener, not 11 %. P.S. Free is good.
mr. Decibel,

Currently, I am playing with two different speaker set ups. First is a clone of the Linkwitz LXmini's. The other is an open baffle set up using Wild Burro Betsys. I built the LXmini clones and am satisfied with their sound. I am forever swapping amps in and out. They are now unplugged and waiting to be returned to service.

The Open baffles are somewhat the same. I am constantly tinkering with various configurations and such with those Betsys.

The 901's are on original tulip stands, and are placed on one of the long back walls of my basement listening room. (15x20, wood floors, plaster over lath walls, 12 foot ceiling). They are placed approx 18inches from the side walls and 24 or so away from the back wall. EQ is installed correctly.

My listening trends toward R&B and Soul, but my first love is jazz....lots of jazz. Bird, Trane, Dizz, The Count.....you get the point.

What I would really like to do is source either a high power receiver or pre-amp/amp set up with a higher end singleCD player as source.

I really just want to play with these for a while and then move them on to someone else to fund some other speaker build project. 

i am no stranger to this hobby, yet in no way an aficionado. All my vinyl went with the ex wife, so my collection is being rebuilt in CD. I just dont have the time or patience to rebuild my vinyl collection. CD player + WATTS+ addiction to speaker building = Goal

Since this is just an experiment, I want to do it as "on the cheap" as I can. Not looking for true audiophile quality. Just crisp, clean, full and LOUD.
Just as an aside, would this little lepai amp drive the 901’s?

https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...with-bluetooth-aptx-and-power-supply--310-298

I’m ordering it to use in another open baffle speaker build I’m doing. I was curious if it had the huevos to power the 901’s.

Edit to say:
I'm curious only because I have no idea how efficient the Bose are. I suspect not very. But if I could drive them with this little box, it sure would go a long way to keeping the wife happy.
The 901s, imo, should be further from the corners, as you are now getting double reflections. I would also try them 18 in. from the back wall. So, you only have the one receiver ? Not familiar with the lapai amp, but try it when received. Do not know how much $ value you will receive for the original 901's ( even mint ), because, the drivers and their surrounds have aged ( just because ). I had 4 systems going not long ago, and, am down to 2, with the 2nd system seldom listened to. I am just enjoying my main rig. Happy listening !
Mr. D.
I'll try tinkering with placement as you describe. Yes, currently just the one amp, I'm slacking on the watts end of my addiction.
The drivers are fine in these. Bose used cloth surrounds in the series I & II and inspection reveals no damage or obvious wear. These were babied it seems.
901 value on craigslist actually runs higher on the first gen 901's. Any of the later, ported versions actually tend to sell for less. $300-$400 seems to be the sweet spot here in Denver for a pair with the EQ.

Yogi,
Thanks for that. Good to have resources to read up on these for when I am tinkering and also for when I sell them.
Circa 1977 I owned a pair of Bose 901s. Then I powered them with a Yahama receiver with fairly low watts. Sounded good to me then; although I didn't have much experience listening to anything else. There is a Yamaha CR600 for sale on ebay for a little over $100. 30W/channel. There is also a 30W/channel Pioneer SX3600 on ebay for something like $190. Pioneer was my very first receiver as a teenager. Loved that thing.  If you want power though (and it seems you do with a handle morwatts) I would recommend you try a used NAD C375BEE integrated amplifier. It is conservatively rated at 150W. It will comfortably do more. You will hear some folks knocking NAD products; I have had good success with this particular model. My boys now use the 375BEE in a music hall TT set up connected to PSB Imagine T speakers and it produces plenty of power. There is one currently listed used for $1,000 on Agon, which seems a bit on the high side to me. I bought mine here used almost 6 years ago for $900. Happy Hunting.  
morwatts
the Bose 901 can be a fun speaker in a secondary set-up. Speaker placement is key, 8 feet of wall space, in order for these to open up
and engulf the listener. Keep us posted.
Happy Listening!
A good power amp is requisite for the 901's.
You could go vintage and get an Adcom 555, or maybe something newer like a McCormack DNA-1. Both should power the 901's as they should.
B
I had a very early pair, I traded them fora Z1B Kawasaki from my brother his family still has them and loves them. Upgraded my system to a pair of Bozak Concert Grands. Liked the 901's but I understand your trepidation.
Lance

I bought the 901 series5 in about 1984. I had an old SAE 501 amp driving them with about 250 watts per speaker max. In my opinion the 901 speakers did not sound better with more power, just went louder and filled the room with loud sound. I anchored them from the ceiling and put them on pedestals. Both configurations gave me similar results. Although a revolution in design for surround sound (I think Bose was attempting to recreate the live concert sound) the speaker had many limitations. Interestingly Dr. Bose really spent much of his earnings on another revolution in car suspension (shock adsorption) in cars. But he did not succeed in getting it adopted into the industry. A shame really because the design was crazy good...
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/259042-bose-sells-off-revolutionary-electromagnetic-suspension
bose, 'no highs, no lows'! i bought my system back in the 4 chanell days. i had a marantz 4300 powering the rear 2 chanells and a phase linear 400 powering the front 2 chanells. i thought they sounded good back then. i had the series 2. today i only listen to music. i have a mcintosh mc602 powering my 4 901 series 2 speakers!!
If I recall, the 901's were actually well regarded in the audiophile community back in the day. I believe Bose started to take a beating when they went "lifestyle". I will say, our BOSE wave clock radio (15 years old) sounds great for what it is. 
hang the speakers from the ceiling per the dimensions in the instructions...best possible sound from BOSE equipment.

I ran them with a tube pre-amp and an 80WPC SS amp for awhile.