Please critique my planned system, JTR Noesis 212RT + Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24”

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice regarding a new system I’m planning. My current system is a pair of 18yr old Mission M53 floorstanders, BK XLS200 sub and Monitor Audio Bronze rears driven by an entry level Denon AVR. It’s time to upgrade and I’ve zeroed in on a preferred option.  Right now I need the one system to do both HT duties and music (bass heavy dubstep with plenty of 20-40hz content) but in a year or two I’ll be able to have a dedicated theatre room so this is my plan:

Order a pair of JTR Noesis 212RT followed by a Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24” sub

Once I buy a house add a pair of Sonus Faber Sonetto VIIIs for music in the main living area, matched with the Mariana 24”, move the JTRs to the theatre room and add a JTR Captivator 4000ULF (or two)

i can audition the Sonus Fabers locally here in Melbourne but I have to buy the JTRs on the back of their excellent reviews so I’m keen to see what the community here thinks of this plan and if there’s anything I should consider substituting or adding. I’ll need to add a power amp to run the JTRs I’m guessing so open to suggestions for that also.

sheikyabouti

Showing 1 response by phusis

@sheikyabouti --

... Right now I need the one system to do both HT duties and music (bass heavy dubstep with plenty of 20-40hz content) but in a year or two I’ll be able to have a dedicated theatre room so this is my plan:

Order a pair of JTR Noesis 212RT followed by a Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24” sub

Once I buy a house add a pair of Sonus Faber Sonetto VIIIs for music in the main living area, matched with the Mariana 24”, move the JTRs to the theatre room and add a JTR Captivator 4000ULF (or two)

i can audition the Sonus Fabers locally here in Melbourne but I have to buy the JTRs on the back of their excellent reviews so I’m keen to see what the community here thinks of this plan and if there’s anything I should consider substituting or adding. ...

How about a plan that’s substracted into being just one: get the JTR Noesis 212RT’s and a pair of either one the other sub option you’re considering, and be done with it. Like you I haven’t auditioned named JTR main speakers, but still I gather you’d be surprised by their sonic capabilities as something that complements both music reproduction and HT duties rather than have them being mutually exclusive. It’s great to see you’re going for subs (make them two; not just one) with serious displacement. You’ll be glad you did as headroom is your friend, and this applies to the Noesis main speakers as well.

@millercarbon --

Whether HT or quality stereo is your goal, either way you will find by far the better results with four small subs in a DBA than one or two (or even three) really big powerful subs. Unless all you want is thumpy fat one-note drubbing. ...

That’s an ignorant statement - not just assumptive, but conclusive at that. Two symmetrically-to-the-mains placed and well implemented "really big powerful subs" like the ones considered by the OP have the potential to do things 4 or even 5 smaller subs in a DBA, not least asymmetrically placed and mono-coupled, can’t equal. I’m not saying a DBA of 4 or 5 smaller subs configured this way can’t sound great, they certainly can to some individuals, but for one they don’t come close to having neither the extension nor headroom and sheer visceral impact of two really big and powerful subs - not only important for HT, if you ask me. Second, symmetrical (to the mains) placement and stereo coupling of a pair of (BIG) subs, be that not only with the subs low-passed above 60-70Hz, just sees to it that that the overall presentation snaps into proper place. I don’t care a rats a** about the constantly recited "bass isn’t directional below 80Hz bla bla bla" and all that theoretical jazz; the proof is IN THE ACTUAL EATING of the pudding, and to some symmetrically placement as lined out just makes a vital difference. To some, Miller, and obviously that doesn’t include you.