Please...Advice For The Speakerly Challenged

Hello all.

Well, I have been shopping around South Central Texas (Austin and San Antonio) audio dealers for a new set of speakers as an upgrade to replace my aging Klipsch KG-5.5's. Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of new speakers to audition in my neck of the woods when considering the seemingly astronomical numbers of manufacturers these days. What I hope to gain here is advice from knowledgeable audiophiles who may have heard the speakers I have auditioned. Perhaps said audiophiles could then recommend other brands I have not heard to consider buying based on what I have already heard. Hopefully I am making sense. I like rock, jazz, classical, world, new age and electronic more than any other genres. My budget is up to $4000, but I would like to hold it down to less than 3k if possible. I would definitely consider buying good used speakers. I am currently using a pair of solid state 200 watt/ch monoblocks for power.

What I have always liked about Klipsch speakers is the great dynamics, wide soundstage, good detail and deep bass response. What I have not been crazy about is the somewhat harsh upper mids and a boomy spike in the mid bass with my KG's (could be a mode). I really detest speakers that have a boxy coloration more than anything else, much preferring a neutral sound.

Here are the speakers I have auditioned so far:

Paradigm Monitor 7 - a fine little floorstander, but I worry that it will not fill a larger room to my liking.

Paradigm Studio 60 and 100 - Really liked the 60 and loved the 100. Really liked the 100 with jazz, rock and new age. Could be a little better with detail.

Dynaudio Excite X32 - I absolutely loved this speaker. It was the most detailed I have heard under 4K, with wonderful mids and outstanding tonal balance. Would only like a little fuller bottom end, but this is a minor quibble with this one. The next model above X36 might just fit my bill, but the dealer had none in stock.

Polk Audio RTI-A9 - Sounded thin and looked somewhat cheap, probably because it was. I really expected more based on reviews, but I guess I should not have. Likely the room acoustics were a big factor though, as I listened to them at Fry's, ugh.

PSB Synchrony 2. I really liked this speaker, but I listened back and forth against the Dynaudio, and it just did not measure up against the Excite X32 overall to my ear.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart. This speaker had a lot to like including accuracy, detail, soundstage and balance, but it had a little boxy sound that put me off. I also thought it was overpriced.

Martin Logan. Listened to several models and liked none. Good mids including nice vocal reproduction, but did not like much else.

B&W 684. This was perhaps the very worst mid or hi-fi loudspeaker I have ever heard. To my ear it sounded like lo-fi crap. I know there are good B&W speakers, but not this one. I thought it was blown, but it was auditioned in a high end home theater store. Extremely overpriced IMO.

Magnepan 1.7 - This was a very fine speaker, but I just can't abide the looks. I would also have to buy a quick sub too, which considering their cost might not be a big problem.

Klipsch RF-83 - I really liked this speaker. It was similar in sound to my KG 5.5's, but with a little less clarity in the bottom end, which was a negative. The mids and highs were better than my current Klipsch speakers.

For any who are still with me, could you lend advice on what I should consider in addition to the above and based upon what I have liked in these speakers. Thanks so much.
chap_cat

Showing 1 response by shay123

I just saw on Audiogon a pair of Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 5s for sale for 4500 or best offer. These are very detailed and will handle lots of power like all the Wilson speakers. They are a system using two satellites and two subwoofers to give full range sound without the typical horn colorations. They use the best dynamic drivers modified for better performance and they use very expensive parts for their crossovers. Every Wilson speaker I can remember has gotten a rave review. You should try to audition a pair. Maybe u will like them.