Playing dual layer SACD/CD disc on Sony DVP9000 ES

My Sony DVP 9000ES (unmodified) ceased playing the SACD layer on "hybrid" SACD/CD discs early on. Unit does play Redbook CD and single layer SACD "only" discs without problem. Toggling the remote or going into player set-up menus does not correct the problem - player always defaults to CD layer on hybrid discs. Am wondering if this may be a firmware/software issue? Has anyone experienced similar problems? Am also considering replacing the 9000ES with Arcam FMJ CD-33 for CD playback purposes versus performing upgrade mods (e.g. Modwright) on the Sony - any opinions?
charlesh7309

Showing 3 responses by tedd1

I was really stoked to find this thread, having just encountered my first hybrid disk - LET IT BLEED!!! - whose SACD layer will not play on my 9000es.

So I've gone through the 15+ SACDs in my collection, and every single one of them is a hybrid! Dang....

Can anyone recommend a musically worthwhile classical or jazz sacd that is SACD only (not hybrid)?

Thanks
Today I tried the procedure above and it didn't work. Prior to beginning, I bought what I thought was a single layer SACD (Silk Roads, 'When Strangers Meet', Yo-Yo Ma and friends) but when it came time to insert the SACD, it produced the message 'Error' followed by something about the 'sled' being opened or loaded or something. Could it have been that that SACD was not single layer? It has multi and stereo programs, but is supposed to work only on SACD players, so I thought it would be fine (very nice music, in any case). Interestingly enough, when I initiated the #1 auto calibrate selection and then selected '0 - All', it never asked me for an SACD. It read the CD, single-, and dual-layer DVDs fine but then ended without asking for the insertion of an sacd. Then I selected '4 - SACD', got the error mentioned above with the Yo-Yo Ma, but then tried the offending Let it Bleed hybrid sacd (2 different copies of the same hybrid) and that worked insofar as satisfying the calibration procedure requirements, but the Let it Bleed sacd layer would still not play subsequent to all of that.

Oh well. Any suggestions (other than to send it somwhere for servicing)? Is my assumption that all 'Sacd player - only' discs are in fact 'single layer'?

thanks
Before I forget this thread completely, I should add an edit to my post above regarding my 9000es unit's inability to play the Let it Bleed SACD, even after having performed the calibration protocol.

It turns out that it was not even an SACD - just a DSD remastered redbook CD - which I failed to notice because the product I bought was advertised as being a 'hybrid SACD' when in fact I was ripped off (inadvertently most likely, by 'Fetchadisc' on Ebay) and received the redbook versions instead.

So at least I can now say that there has not yet been a SACD whose SACD layer would not play on my particular 9000es.
Hope this help, by way of balancing some other testimonials, to inform any future purchasing decisions.
Ted