Playback Designs MPS-5 Review in Stereophile

I thought there was a thread about MF's review of the Playback Designs MPS-5 in Stereophile. Did I dream that?

I own the PD and love it and agree 100% with MF's subjective review. OTOH, JA brought up some objective "flaws" in his testing and PD answered back that they thought that JA was measuring the wrong things, but thank you.

This brought up the classic, but interesting and informative, discussion of objectivism vs. subectivism and are we testing the right things.

How does this all this color the review of the Playback Designs MPS-5 in the minds of readers here. Overall, was the review positive or negative for PD?

I vote for positve and believe that we're not testing the right things yet. I'm very encouraged by the protocol that Nordost is developing, using actual music signals to explain differences heard when changing things like isolation platforms, power cords, speaker cables, etc. Hopefully there'll be a white paper soon, so that others can try the protocol and either validate it or prove it wrong. I'm rooting for a new protocol and hope it arrives soon.

Dave
dcstep

Showing 3 responses by mtkhl567

Dave, you didn't dream that there was a large thread on the Playback Designs MPS-5 and MF's review recently in Stereophile. It was mostly favorable to the PD player. In summary, a player outperforming the $70K Scarlatti, concidered a benchmark, priced at a fraction of that. Now who would benefit from removing that information...I wonder?

Well, we all know the occasional misterious augiogon sensorship actions...
Jb0194, thanks for looking at my system and providing INvaluable feedback, but then again...perhaps not!