Placette linestage vs. Adcom 750 passive

The former sells used for almost twice as much as the latter; is there anything that the Placette does that the Adcom doesn't? Would it be an "upgrade" for me?
kanuk

Showing 3 responses by isanchez

Would it be an "upgrade" for me?

That will depend on your system. Gain is something that needs to be taken into account when using a passive unit as it needs to be provided by the source and the amp only. Some passive units provide a bit of gain to address the possible lack of gain issue with some systems.

I highly recommend the Promitheus Audio C-core TVCs. They are transformer-based, dual-box designs. It was a revelation to me how having a switch selector and volume control for each channel can render images so accurately. This feature is rare in the realm of preamps, regardless of price. Promitheus TVCs may be lacking some ergonomic features, but judging from their sound performance in the right system, I think you need to spend way a lot more money to get this kind of fast, articulate, grain-free and harmonically-correct sound.

If you really need volume control, then you should look at the new Bent Audio TVCs. I'm not sure, but I think the Bent units provide a bit of extra gain.
Hello Rafael,

I never heard the Placette, although I was considering it while I was looking for a passive unit.

I really don't know what or why it is, but in my system the Promitheus C-core TVC sounds amazing. I'm running an all balanced system, and the C-core TVC is a true balanced design. I ordered my dual-box C-core TVC with two balanced inputs, one RCA input and two balanced outputs. I tried the RCA input first and I have to admit that it was not nearly as good as the balanced inputs. Again, I don't know why this is, but this TVC mates really well with the rest of my system as it is.

Also, this unit has responded extremely well to the cable updates I've introduced recently, which is a concern I had.

Best,

iSanchez

Hello Rafael,

Thanks for your insights into the TVC subject. I totally agree with you on the Spectron mono-blocks complementing the Promitheus C-core TVC. I'm still amazed at the sound the Spectron amps provide.

Promitheus Audio has some technical explanations about TVC and impedance, which I think can be very helpful.

There is also this Bent Audio thread that covers the impedance subject as well.

Best,

iSanchez