Placette 100K volume control, problem solved

I'm now controlling my digital via a laptop, but it is a pain without remote volume when jumping from song to song since the volume varies so much from album to album. I wanted to add a remote volume control and having heard the Placette before it was at the top of my list. My system has plenty of gain so I really don't need an active stage. Up to this point I was using an Alps pot at the input of my DIY amp to control volume.

My problem was my phono stage has a high output impedance (about 3.5K) so the stock Placette wouldn't work with it's relatively low input impedance. They built a unit for me that has 100K input impedance and it is truly wonderful. A small price premium since the larger resistors are more expensive but well worth it.

The first thing I noticed was how much quieter the system is with no music playing. Then when it does start there is greater transparency and flow than with the Alps pot. I struggle a bit when trying to describe the sound of things, but suffice it to say that this RVC sounds like nothing. I've tried various pots, transformer controls which added noise, and the stock Placette which choked the life out of my phono stage due to it's low input impedance. This unit is perfect for my system.

Forget what you’ve heard about poor dynamics and the other knocks on passives. These things are true if the passive isn’t properly matched to your system, but I’ve got dynamics that will make you jump out of your seat. If you want to try a passive contact Placette. Great people to work with. Highly recommended.
herman

Showing 3 responses by drubin

Very interesting. I just picked up a Placette myself, but it doesn't seem to be completely happy with either of my sources and feeding into Nuforce amps. I will try some other amps. I once owned a Placette Active, which I wish I had never sold, so I know how this should sound. I am also going to be trying a TVC soon and see how that works out. I'm on a passive kick.
I'm using a modfied Marantz CDP and a Dynavector P-75 phono stage, feeding Reference 9SE's, all single-ended. I just got the Placette (the 3-input model) two days ago and I am hearing a lot of what I remember about the Placette "non sound", but I am also noticing bass that, while wonderfully clean, is too light; a very flat soundstage (and very two-dimensional images in general); and an overall character that tends toward thin and light. The active pre I have been using is a Rowland Concerto, which is fairly neutral itself, so this is not a case of having been used to an overly warm and full tube preamp.

A few months ago, when I was using Nuforce 8's, I briefly tried the Sonic Euphoria, just with my CD source. I wanted to love it, but it clearly was a mismatch as it sounded choked, rolled off, all wrong. I don't know why,
I must retract my earlier comments about "not a good fit" with my system. To my chagrin, I discovered last night that I had made some connection errors with my subwoofer (sometime in the past few days). Once fixed, the sound changed enough that I have to start over with my assessment of the Placette.

In answer to an earlier remark, my interconnects are 1M or 2M max, so think I'm fine with respect to that issue.