Pioneer SX-1050 speaker problems

Hi,

total noob here. I recently purchased a pioneer sx-1050. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120 and DALI Zensor 3 speakers. The receiver is in great condition and sounds fantastic. However, at higher volumes (especially if I have the bass positive) the cones on the speakers vibrate crazily. 

I have tried reconnecting the speakers. I have also tried an external pre-amp but if I turn up the bass even a little (I like heavy bass) then at higher volume the speakers have a fit. I presume I am doing something stupid. Any ideas?
M.
128x128schmada

Showing 2 responses by kalali

Sounds like you’re over driving the speakers and I suspect you’ll completely destroy those (small) speakers if you had your amplifier at the clipping level. 120 wpc is way over the limits of these speakers if driven at high spl levels.
Wow, this is incredible ...I m still using my SX-780, the HPM-40 speakers (sometimes switch to my JBL L40s bought in 1977) and my Dual 1257 turntable that I bought all brand new back, I think 1976, in my upstairs study. Two entire side walls are covered with LPs literally from floor to the ceiling. Those SX Pioneers are definitely keepers.