Pioneer SX-1050 speaker problems

Hi,

total noob here. I recently purchased a pioneer sx-1050. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120 and DALI Zensor 3 speakers. The receiver is in great condition and sounds fantastic. However, at higher volumes (especially if I have the bass positive) the cones on the speakers vibrate crazily. 

I have tried reconnecting the speakers. I have also tried an external pre-amp but if I turn up the bass even a little (I like heavy bass) then at higher volume the speakers have a fit. I presume I am doing something stupid. Any ideas?
M.
128x128schmada

Showing 1 response by dlcockrum

Perfect advice from czarivey. It is not unusual to have woofer pumping from poorly isolated and /or improperly setup turntables.

I have a SX-1050 in my vintage setup. Engaging the 30 hz filter should address the issue unless you have a wicked feedback loop going. Loudness off. Then try the 80hz filter. If that does not solve it, then better vibration isolation and/or a different location for your turntable is indicated.

I find that my matching Pioneer SG-9500 EQ (~$100) does a much better job of providing that vintage driving bass sound than the SX-1050’s tone controls and will allow you to more precisely adjust around your woofer pumping issue.

Pioneer HPM-100s are a great match for the SX-1050 and are awesome in the bass. As Reuben recommends, the Infinity speakers that use the Watkins Dual-Drive woofer are a great choice too but the impedance is a harder load for the receiver to drive. I have both the HMP-100s and the original Watkins WS-1a speakers with the Watkins Dual-Drive woofers and both sound great with lots of bass from the SX-1050, but I prefer the HPM-100s for rock and blues.

Dave