Pioneer SL-570D TT Tonearm Suggestions

Greetings All

I acquired from the original, now deceased, owner a pristine Pioneer SL-570D TT. I replaced the cartridge with an Ortofon 2M Bronze. This TT is a work of art. Wood plinth is perfect. Cover is as clear as the day it came out of its packaging back in 1975. I have the original hand written sales receipt $395 in 1975.

Should I consider swapping out the tonearm?  I love the vintage nature of this TT. I would like to consider realistic options. And if keeping it just as-is should be the verdict then so be it.  P.S. I've researched this TT and just cannot figure what TA was OEM.  Does anyone know?

The TT is fed by all PS Audio components: Stellar Phono pre-amp, BHK Signature pre-amp, M700 (2 X 350w mono blocks), PowerPlant 12, all feeding DOM 1997 Thiel MCS1 speakers on Thiel factory metal stands.  I live in a 150 yr. old factory building. Built like a bomb shelter.  I have the TT sitting on a Solidsteel wall shelf lag bolted into 18" thick brick outside wall. Talk about isolation!

128x128veemike

"I've been thinking a lot about quick/precise arm height adjustment lately, to make using a dedicated Mono cartridge and alternate Stereo cartridges, perhaps MM replaceable stylus and more costly fixed stylus MC easy/quick/accurate during a listening session."  elliott....

Thanks for that suggestion. I have been thinking about just that ever since I got this TT.  See my avatar pic? Me in 1961 at age 5. I live for great music, live or reproduced. But until wife #2 became just a faint memory a while back I never got back into good sound. But I have now. Got the Porsche I wanted and am building the system I want. The TT fell into my lap. And my interest in vintage, now having been cured and replaced by an entire PS Audio system, is in place with a 50 year old gorgeous TT.  Back in HS in the early 70's all I wanted was a stripper GF, gold top Les Paul and a Sansui Eight.  The first two came and went. Never got the Sansui.  So I have a similar era TT instead.

Two head shells, one for my mono, another MC for stereo. 

Yea, it's kinda like having a classic sports car in mint condition and doing an engine swap.

BillWojo

10-4 on that.

And as for the stripper GF...  Bill, I'm asking the questions here.  Just leave it that youth is wasted on the young.  If I only knew then what I know now.

P.S. - quality headshells - Is there any reason to be picky about headshells?  My tonearm has a spring loaded collet. Is this unique to Pioneer? 

@veemike 

Stripper GF.......and all the boys there at the bar began to sing along. If you'll be my Dixie Chicken, I'll be your Tennessee Lamb.......

There's a song for every situation. As for the turntable, don't mess with it. Probably the same advice you could have used about the GF. 

As the original poster I'm revisiting this 2+ year old post.  I still have the Pioneer SL-570D though it is relegated into its shipping carton on  a storage shelf.  In November 2022 I came to the realization that all the tweaking and best MM cartridges were not enough to get me where I wanted to be when considering the rest of my system. So in late 11/2022 I purchased a VPI Scout. Nice TT. However, it just could not hold specs re: tracking and anti-skate. Fiddled, would get it perfect (all things considered) then a month later telltale indications it would lose spec.  So six months later I traded in the VPI for a Rega P10 w/ Alphelion 2 cart. I am very happy.  Anyone want a Pioneer SL-570D in great shape? All the original paperwork including original early 1970's invoice.