Pioneer SA9100 & TX9100 repair near McLean VA? (Worth it?)

Hi, my neighbor's husband recently passed away and left her with a number of interesting pieces of vintage gear. Included are the following: Pioneer SA-9100 amp (a beauty) and Pioneer TX-9100. I smoke tested both, but stopped because the amp failed to output anything other than background noise and an exceedingly weak signal to my sacrificial speakers (known to be good).

I'd like to get an estimate for repair of both (also looking at re-capping/mods), preferably local to avoid shipping. In my opinion, both of these have a very nice look and feel, and some great features. I just don;t know what they sound like "fixed" or "modded".

Do you think these are worthwhile repairing? 

Do you have a suggestion for a repair person who is familiar with these?

Thanks!

128x128vicweast

Showing 2 responses by paraneer

I'd like to get an estimate for repair of both (also looking at re-capping/mods), preferably local to avoid shipping. In my opinion, both of these have a very nice look and feel, and some great features. I just don;t know what they sound like "fixed" or "modded".

Do you think these are worthwhile repairing?

Vintage is fine if your technically inclined. 

So if you can do the repairs yourself, these are nice vintages pieces from the Pioneer "silver" era and are sought after by vintage enthusiasts.  But if you have to pay of shop to bring them back to factory spec, you have exceeded the value of a fully functioning one and maybe a comparable new amp.  Most likely you will lose money if your intention is not to keep it for nostalgia reasons.

I think your neighbor made a wise decision.  Good for you for helping her out.