Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel decks

Hi - Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on these decks (or the RT-909) re: both sonics and reliability. I know they're not in the league of the big Technics or best Teacs or Revox, but the small "footprint" has serious WAF!
opalchip

Showing 2 responses by plato

I think the RT-707 is an excellent deck especially at their going rate. The look good, are built like tanks, sound very good, and operate quietly and smoothly.

One thing... I had to replace the counter belt on my deck. Now I have a high mechanical aptitude and must say that the amount of screws and parts you need to disassemble in order to get the belt in place is ridiculous. If it ever breaks again, I'm just leaving it broken.
I also have a Teac X700 and think it's a very good deck. It has a lot of features including auto-reverse. I believe the take up hubs are belt-driven and the belts can cause issues. The Pioneer has individual motors for tape drive, and both reel hubs so should be more reliable. I don't think the Teac sounds any better than the Pioneer.

I've also owned the Revox A77 machines and those sound quite good, maybe a touch better than the Teac and Pioneer units. They'll do 10.5" reels, but no auto reverse.

I kind of lust after the big Technics IsoLoop machines, but they can be pricey these days.