Pioneer 563 universtal DVD player for less $200

Does anyone have any experience with this player? How does it compare with other universal players?

I am looking for a temporary solution. Denon 2900 was original my pick but I don't want to deal with its bass management issue. Plus I want to wait for a DVI output as well.
ejliu

Showing 1 response by bunner100

I have been thinking of replacementing my current DVD player for some time now. When I first built my system two years ago my plan was to spend extra money for a high quality DVD player that can actually play CD's well. I thought the NAD T562 was it with HDCD decoding. I must admit that it does sound good but not as good as the recent used Linn Genki I bought after hearing a friends in my system. I also noticed that the NAD had some problems reading DVD's. I have been told the tolerance of the machine is too tight and is a common problem with expensive players. Since I have a good CD player I decided to look for a universal player. I assumed the Pioneer Elite or Denon players would fit the bill. Then I saw Best Buy had the Pioneer DV563 on sale for 229.00CAN with a 30 day no questions return policy so I picked one up. The cables I used to hook the unit up actually cost more than the unit and I believe is a key factor for this thing so sound good. I also noticed that the unit did lack a little in the low end so I ordered a set of vibrapods that increased the bass response. At the end of 30 day return period I decided to keep this thing and here is what I think of it. SACD stereo is O.K. Typical pioneer sound and doesn’t come close to the Genki in my system playing reguler CD's. SACD multi-channel surround sounds pretty neat. I did notice DVD-A sounds great and it’s cool to have all the extra stuff (pictures, discography, lyrics, etc.), which is common with DVD-A disks. I don't know if it is the format or the player but DVD-A's sound quality is much more fuller and detailed than SACD. DVD video is also O.K. I tried it in progressive and interlaced modes but the NAD looks and sounds quite a bit better (coax to reciever). The DV563 has played everything I've thrown at it with no problems and its JPEG slide show features is great to have. Also the GUI (user interface) software is excellent.
The most important things with this unit are:
Good cables.
Use Vibrapods or another vibration damping products.
Set the unit to fixed output (this bypasses the ridiculously high crossover settings for the subwoofer). You must have an A/V receiver with bass management on the 5.1 input and if you don’t I would forget the DV563 all together.

In the end I decided to keep both the NAD DVD player and the Pioneer DV563. I figured I can’t go wrong with the price and since I have more money invested in SACD and DVD-A disks than the units worth I better keep it. If you looking to introduce 5.1 music to your system I think you would have to spend quite a bit more money to get significant sound quality improvement. With only a handfull of selections available in hi resolution that may not be a good idea at this point.
Equipment used
Nad T761 A/V amp
Nad T562 DVD player
Linn Genki CD player
Pioneer DV563
2 - Linn LK-85’s amps in active mode
Pair of Linn Ninka speakers in active mode with the 2 - LK-85’s for L/R fronts
Mordaunt-short center, subwoofer, & surrounds
Linn black and silver interconnects
Linn k400 speaker wire