Pink noise and pop from Levinson 333 amp

Please help. My ML333 amp makes a pop sound on the speakers when switch to ON from Standby -- I can hear the relays clicks inside the amp then follow by the pop (sometimes it pops going to Standby from ON). Worse yet, when it's IDLE (amp ON but not playing music) I can hear the amp puts out pink noise on the upper-mid and high drivers (my guess is 2kHz and up) when my ears are 2 feet away from the speakers. The noise (hiss?) is there with or without the preamp connected. Does anyone know what are the problems? It shouldn't be the from the main power because I don't get this problem on my Denon home-theater receiver. Thanks in advance.
krellcast

Showing 1 response by krellcast

I am using single-ended RCA connections and shorted XLR pins 3 & 1 using the U-pins from Madrigal. The pops and hiss are there when I disconnect inputs from the preamp. So it's issolated to the amp. I'll try to float the ground tonight.
1) Would the pops hurt the speakers? It's not loud pops, just typical normal listening level. I'm not sure how large is the surge voltage that makes the pops.
2) How can we tell if the background hiss is not amplified when music is playing? My ears can't tell that. I guess I should borrow a scope.