Pink noise and pop from Levinson 333 amp

Please help. My ML333 amp makes a pop sound on the speakers when switch to ON from Standby -- I can hear the relays clicks inside the amp then follow by the pop (sometimes it pops going to Standby from ON). Worse yet, when it's IDLE (amp ON but not playing music) I can hear the amp puts out pink noise on the upper-mid and high drivers (my guess is 2kHz and up) when my ears are 2 feet away from the speakers. The noise (hiss?) is there with or without the preamp connected. Does anyone know what are the problems? It shouldn't be the from the main power because I don't get this problem on my Denon home-theater receiver. Thanks in advance.
krellcast

Showing 1 response by ericbee

Lets address each of the problems one at a time.
1. backround hiss.
While extremely annoying, this is unfortunately normal. It is the noise floor of the amp. Some are worse than others and worse still, some are almost silent. I have heard 2 of the same amp in the same system, one with noticeable backround noise and one with none. Really annoying and as far as I know, unfixable. The way to tell for sure if it is the amp is to disconnect all interconnects from the preamp and the amp (only 2) power it up and if you still hear the hiss from the tweeters, it's the amp.
2. relay clicking
Also normal on Levinson amps. The relay clicks when it powers on or on from standby. This is nothing to worry about.

3. Popping sound
This seems to be the real problem and should not be happening. If the unit was purchased from a local dealer, bring it to his listening room and see if it happens there. It should if it's the amp and if it does'nt, then you can trace the noise back to somewhere else. Very possibly could be the preamp.