Pink Floyd DSOTM in various versions

Hi All

As a rather die-hard 'Dark side of the Moon' fan from way back, over the years I have acquired various pressings and cd's of this classic. I'm curious if my findings echo any others here.

Tonight I dragged (drug?) out four versions and set to it. Two vinyl and two cd. One Capitol pressing and one Dutch EMI pressing on white vinyl. One MFSL gold and one SACD.

After comparison between the bunch, mainly with the track 'Us and Them' for consistent comparison- I found favor for the EMI pressing as it was across the board more involving along with better imaging and believable horn and voice. The MFSL was a very close second with the SACD version a rather distant third.

I found this a little surprising and also dissappointing. It got me to thinking I might consider to invest in another vinyl pressing, this time in one of the upper end vinyl Japanese or other mfr.

Any comments on either my finding here or what may be a good choice for the 'absolute' version of this classic?

Thanks,
RW
128x128rwbadley

Showing 1 response by rcj1231

I also have the Japanese Pro-Use version LP, the MFSL Gold CD and a US Harvest LP. The Pro-Use LP has the best sound by a lot. Grab one if you see it.