Pickup SRA - starting from a 500x microscope

I am not sure if my Lyra Atlas has the right SRA. Can other owners contribute? I have bought a 500x usb microscope, but it remains hard to find the exact angle. It is easy to get the angle of the record (or platter - I use a mirror), but very hard to get the angle of the stylus. I use the Cooling Tech software but it does not solve my problems. Trying to estimate the angle I cannot set the crosses sufficiently exact, and end up with values like 88, 90, 94 - varying all over the place.
I have only taken a few pictures so far, and could perhaps improve them. Tips and info welcome.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter

Showing 6 responses by pbnaudio

Shoot me an email so I can forward you some photos of how to do this on a Lyra Atlas. They were made by Wally Malewicz and are quite easy to understand, basically measuring the angle in both sides of the stylus, then make a simple calculation.

[email protected]

Good listening

Peter
Viridian,

I agree that small changes in SRA are noticeable, I do however subscribe to the idea that starting from a technical correct point is the proper way to go.

Good Listening

Peter
"SRA and VTA are not identical or even interchangeable terms"

They are infinitely connected, one follows the other, no they are not identical but they will follow each other, if you change one the other will change too. So it ultimately a matter of where/how one chose to measure, in my opinion that would be SRA which is the point closest to the source.

I do however not subscribe to endless adjustments nor obsess over this, I usually just set it once and then forget about it till I change something on any particular setup.

Good Listening

Peter

Thanks Grooves for the very informative post which I'm in total agreement with. I bought my USB Microscope after reading about the importance of SRA on AnalogPlanet and have been using this method since and always with better results.

Good Listening

Peter
You can adjust the arm lift down with the microscopic allen wrench supplied in your tool kit for the SME. Midway in the rubber strip there a tiny hole that the allen wrench is inserted through to engage a adjustment screw below, this is a VERY finicky and fragile adjustment so be very careful. Your SME Manual have instructions on this on page 20 paragraph 536, if you don't have them manual one can be downloaded from Vinyl Engine

Best of luck

Peter
Your Welcome, the allen wrench is a .09MM and a set containing it is available Here

Remember even a VERY tiny adjustment at the base of the arm will result in a significant change in cueing height

Best of Luck

Peter