PICK ONE... ONKYO 805 or MARANTZ 8001

I'm trying to decide on a new (to me anyways) receiver.

I've narrowed it down to these two:
MARANTZ - SR 8001
ONKYO - TX SR 805

About the only big deal I see bwtween them in their feature set is the 805 has better video flexibility & the HDMI 1.3 thingy. THEIR POWER RATING IS ABOUT EQUAL AND ALL i WOULD NEED.

The HDMI 1.3 does seem attractive for multi ch. high res audio playback via a single wire bundle, BUT not having heard anything through one, I'm skeptical on it's performance level and would think the Marantz the more musical of the pair... albeit the need for RCA cables for SACD.

The onkyo is also cheaper.

Any other thoughts or experiences here on support or performance, would be super and greatly appreciated.
blindjim

Showing 4 responses by sogood51

Between those two (and for your intended use), I'd go with the Onkyo. That said, I would step it up one level in the Onkyo line, and get the Onkyo TX-SR875. The SR875 has even higher video quality than the Onkyo 805.

I did setup a system for someone a few months back using an Onkyo 805 that he had picked up at Circuit City...I thought it a nice Receiver for his system.

No worry about the power thing, IMO...The Onkyo has THX Ultra2 certification...a step above the Marantz, which has THX Select2 certification.

Dave
I saw the Onkyo 805 at J&R Music World on sale at $799...no tax, and free shipping.

The system I setup a few months back, (mentioned above)...had Onkyo 805, Oppo digital sacd/dvd audio/video player, Sanyo projector, NHT Classic 3's and 2's for speakers, Hsu subwoofer...it sounded (and looked) very nice.

Dave
Both are great buys. Anyone who bought these even a few months back (at much higher price), is going to take a bath in $$$ loss when they sell. Two used Marantz 8001's were listed the last time I looked, both...asking well above what you can now buy a new unit for. I didn't see any used Onkyo 805's...I'm sure it would be the same thing though.

Those sellers can only hope for buyers that don't research much.

Dave
I thought the Onkyo was a fairly easy setup?...I did use the on-screen setup though, and not the Onkyo front panel.....I only glanced through the manual to get it up and running, fine tuned latter.

Room correction started as soon as the MIC was plugged in.

Dave