PICK ONE... ONKYO 805 or MARANTZ 8001

I'm trying to decide on a new (to me anyways) receiver.

I've narrowed it down to these two:
MARANTZ - SR 8001
ONKYO - TX SR 805

About the only big deal I see bwtween them in their feature set is the 805 has better video flexibility & the HDMI 1.3 thingy. THEIR POWER RATING IS ABOUT EQUAL AND ALL i WOULD NEED.

The HDMI 1.3 does seem attractive for multi ch. high res audio playback via a single wire bundle, BUT not having heard anything through one, I'm skeptical on it's performance level and would think the Marantz the more musical of the pair... albeit the need for RCA cables for SACD.

The onkyo is also cheaper.

Any other thoughts or experiences here on support or performance, would be super and greatly appreciated.
blindjim

Showing 1 response by pdn

Right off the top, and this is just my opinion, Marantz products are sold in the higher end audiophile type stores where Onkyo is sold in the Circuit Cities and other mass market stores. When it comes to high end audio, I would be skeptical of any products sold in mass market store chains. If a higher end audio store is selling Marantz, there has to be a good reason for it. I'm sure Onkyo is a fine product and many folks love it. Just keep where they are sold in mind. On the Marantz website, there is an SR8002 and SR7002. I don't see an 8001. Are you purchasing this brand new? I believe the 8001 was replaced when their new line of A-V receivers hit the market back in Sep '07.

Another consideration is power. Is the Onkyo unit providing 130 watts RMS all channels driven into 8 ohms 20hz to 20khz? I looked at the specs of the Onkyo 805 and they seem to be somewhat ambiguous. I know for a fact that Marantz derates their power when in surround sound. They guarantee 70% of the rated power into 8 ohms 20hz-20khz when driving more than 2 channels (5.1, 7.1, etc). I spoke with them directly over the phone recently. I just wish they would state that in writing in their literature. Power output is an entire topic unto itself. You shouldn't purchase one reveiver over another simply because it puts out more wattage/channel. You may not need it depending on your room size, speakers being driven, how loud you listen, etc.

Features and functions of course are important too but it looks like you did your homework on that and they are comparable. It really then comes down to which manufacturer do YOU believe uses superior parts and internal components and simply manufactures a better product? It also comes down to listening to each one and going with the one that turns you on the most. It's all about the SOUND !!

Personally, I'd stick with Marantz. They also offer a 3 year warranty. Hope this helps.