Phonostage/preamp recommendations. Parasound JC3 Jr.?

Hello all. After searching for hours and not quite understanding if I’m processing the information right, I figured I would sign up ask the question directly with my specific information. Obviously new to home audio so please go easy. I bought a "new to me" Sota Sapphire with a Sumiko Premier FT-3 tonearm and Dynavector DV-10X5 cart. I leveled it out and set up the arm. Hooked it up to my Denon DRA-800H receiver (which says it has a phono input) paired up with Polk RTI A3 bookshelves. Everything "works" fine. Highs are clean and crisp. No funky sounds or anything like that so overall success. My issue comes with the overall loudness of the playback (having to almost max the volume at 70 before achieving listenable levels) and the lack of bass and overall dimension in the music. Not having a sub and understanding they are only bookshelves I don’t expect the world of them but I was thinking it should sound better than my bluetooth Bose Soundlink? Being an MC cart the person a bought the turntable from suggested I could benefit from running a dedicated phonostage before the Denon. The Parasound Jr. looks good giving the option to switch from MM to MC and seems to have a good fanbase.  Am I on the right track to a decent starter system? Any recommendations? looking for something I won’t have to upgrade for a while, but not looking to sell my bike either. Please help school me on this rabbit hole I’ve ventured into! Also not opposed to tubes, but I’m sure that’s a whole other world I shouldn’t be exploring quite yet. Thanks in advance.

Recap on what I have:
Sota Sapphire
Sumiko Premier FT-3
Dynavector DV-10X5
Denon DRA-800h
Polk RTI A3
tommyd902688

Showing 9 responses by tommyd902688

rsf507: Thanks for the response! Just looked up the Ph-10 and have to say it looks very versatile indeed. It also looks fairly user friendly in that everything would be controlled through the front panel and the single knob. Is that correct? Also had no idea that some of my older records may not use RIAA mastering so it's both good that I'm now aware and that and that it has an option for RIAA/Decca/Columbia. Unfortunately the only "audio store" I have know of around me is the big yellow tag store so I don't think I will have any opportunities to audition any hi end equipment. I'm going to be pretty reliant on reviews and others with first hand knowledge for what I end up going with. With something like the Ph-10 or any other preamp device I assume I would hook it into a aux input on my receiver instead of the phono input? Something like this looks like it could also stay put should i decide to upgrade amp and speakers later on down the road as well?
Alucard19: Actually although I've read a lot of good things about the Chinook on this forums articles and elsewhere, it is about double my price point. The other 2 options suggested in this post are also more than I was hoping to spend but maybe justifiable if I can find a good deal. I do absolutly agree though that once I do decide on a new stage that numbers alone won't get me where I need to be. There will be a lot of playing involved!
Some interesting feedback here. In regards to the SUT, I’m not sure I would want to go that route based on my very limited knowledge on how they work (emphasis on limited) I would want something more versatile. Example I may or may not want an MM cart in the future or a different MC and I would want to buy something now that can accommodate a fairly large variety of options vs something that’s more specific to one type of setup. Buy once cry once if you will...with limitations of course. Very interesting on the two posts regarding the Ph-10 vs Jc3 Jr. Two different opinions on opposite sides regarding noise.

mofimadness: Is there anything in particular that was lacking with the Ph-10? Or you just feel the Parasound was a notch above overall? I kind of like being able to switch settings from the front without pulling it off the shelf. Having some Decca London records from the 50s and 60s (mostly classical pieces) I don’t know if having those options on the fly would be a game changer or more of a gimmick. Just thinking out loud. Also any specific thoughts on low bass range from the two?

Any other thoughts out there?
Parasound seems to be getting a lot of love overall here. That Zphono XRM looks interesting at the price point. Especially for my setup I currently have. Later on I would like to upgrade to some nice floor tower  speakers and a better amp. Truthfully I really want to go tubes when the big upgrade happens. No particular reason I guess I really just like the old school stuff. Really love the look of Decware for the endgame system and love that it's made in the USA. But for the time being at $600 it would seem I would be getting a very good product from a reputable company that I would probably be very happy with for a few years until funds become available again. I did a search last night for real audio shops in CT and found one on the Berlin Trnpk that's not too far from me. The Audio Store? Anyone ever heard of it or anyone form CT that might know of a good place to go listen before you buy?
Well since I already had the zphono in my cart ready to buy that certainly throws a monkey wrench into things....Besides, I don't really want a quicky bandaid to my issue. Having a decent preamp would not only fix my current issue, but also open doors for future exploration with other cartridges. Although if I did go the cartridge route. How would I find the RIGHT cartridge?
Atmasphere: I purchased the zphono xrm yesterday. I was going to update everyone tonight after hooking it up. If your theory is correct and the tonearm is not set properly, or the cartridge is dameged then I would not exactly be pleased. I could always return the zphono at that point. I will look into the height of the tonearm tonight when I get home from work and update you. Being pretty new to this I will admit I hadn't even thought to check that. The person I bought the table from had It set and I suppose I just figured it was good. 
So the tonearm is indeed at the correct height and everything is hooked up. There is a major improvement already. I played around with some of the settings and so far I've run into some interesting findings...
1. I tend to like the sound with the mono switch on. Regardless of the record being stereo or mono.
2. The MC section of the pre amp has 50db gain or 60db. I'm having trouble finding a balance. Recommendation from dynavector is 50db with 1000h ohmz load. So that's where I started. It seemed fine. And playing with the knob up or down didn't improve the sound, and actually degraded in most cases. Then I decided to switch to 60db gain and see what I get. What a difference! It seemed great when I turned it down to around 150-300 ohmz. But in some of the high lyric sections I got some breaking up and crackling. So it seems Im between ok sound at 50db with the impedence all the way up, or pretty good sound at 60db with it cranked all the way down and the occasional crackle pop. What do you guys make of that? 

Anyway thanks to all for your input and suggestions. It is playing much better overall regardless of which setting I put it on. And I no longer feel like I made a terrible mistake buying the Sota! I'm going to be spending a lot of time surfing these pages learning as much as I can through my hifi journey. Thank you all agian.
Its hooked into the CD input on the reciever. So plug the turntable output into MM and give that a try? 
I switched to MM input at 50db today and all I can say is wow. Everything is so clear and I'm finally getting some bass notes out of the speakers. I can only imagine if I had a better amp and speakers what it could sound like. 

Atmasphere: I'm going to look into the forum and see what I can find for setting the tracking force. And also look online for a turntable protractor to check the things you suggested. Even though it's sounding 1000 times better doesn't mean I can stop there! I will post back once I get the protractor and let you know.