Phonostage

I have a Vintage silver direct drive Pioneer Quartz - PLL - Automatic (model PL - 560) turntable that my husband purchased around 1979.  It currently has a Shure M97xE phono cartridge and N97xE stylus.  At this time I don't have a phono stage.  I listen to Vinyl LP's by directly connecting the TT to our vintage Yamaha amp. I have about 4 dozen vinyl LP's.  Most of them I've recorded to my computer using Audacity at 192/24.  The computer versions have more micro details and clarity than the vinyls played on the turntable. Maybe that's the fault of the vintage Yamaha amp and MA-6 speakers the turntable is connected to, which is not my main system. In the past I purchased a $100 phono stage (to connect to a Harmon Kardon AVR)  and was not impressed with the results I heard.  Yes I know, AVR's stink when it comes to quality music listening.  Since the turntable was never a top-of-the-line model would it make any sense to purchase a phonostage that cost more than the turntable's original price and a better cartridge and stylus? Or should I just forget it?  I will not be investing in a new turntable based system.  I just want to know if it would be worth it to improve on what I already have. So I guess I'm asking (anyone familiar with this vintage TT) "Is my turntable "capable" of increased clarity and details?
mewsickbuff

PL560 is a true classic performer and doesn't need upgrades. It can be part of entry-level or more advanced audiophile system. The condition of deck needs to be examined and probably lubricated/serviced. They can have speed control issues and that can be resolved as well. In fact I was bringing PL560 to the original performance with all functions work mint. This deck is 100% serviceable and has superior built quality (check ebay prices to appreciate this unit and quit thinking about another one!)

M97xe is good cartridge as long as it bears original made in Japan stylus in good shape. You may also remove stylus and shoot some DeOxit spray inside, than let it dry and mount stylus back. Headshell can be unmounted from the arm to inspect stylus condition. I use pocket jeweler's magnifier to see wear. Bad stylus may be the reason why you're not satisfied. Check the original stylus availability -- you may check needledoctor.com for good one.

AVR phonostages may/maynot be OK, but would suggest $100...$200 outboard units such as ProJekt phono box or Bellari

This turntable has may various cartridge options to choose from, but first make sure your stylus is lookin' sexy :-)

Basic rule of thumb in audio: any information lost at the source (turntable in your case) cannot be retrieved or "improved" upon further down the line. Iow, your turntable, as czarivey is saying, is doing a good job since your digital transfers sound good.

It is is not clear from your posts whether you are playing back your transfers on your main system or on the vintage system. Assuming that it is on your main (better) system, that is the reason that the transfers sound better...it is a better system which is allowing the "details and clarity" in your transfers to be heard; as opposed to your vintage system which is not allowing it. In fact, everything else being equal, direct playback of your lp’s should sound even better than your digital transfers.

What I would do first is, since you DO have a phono stage presently (built into your Yamaha amp), is connect your Yamaha amplifier to your main system via its "TAPE OUT" connections to the amplifier in your main system and see what LP playback sounds like. I would bet that then having taken the possibly inferior line stage in the Yamaha and the presumably inferior speakers in your vintage system out of the playback chain you will get a much better sense of what your turntable is capable of. I have a feeling you will be surprised at how good it sounds. In short, YES your tt is capable of good sound; otherwise your transfers would not sound good. Don’t worry about type of cartridge yet and first make sure, as czarivey suggests, that the stylus is in good shape.  Your original post suggests that it is probably fairly new.  Keep us posted and good luck.

Okay, I've connected the TT to the Yamaha's phono-in and ground connections.  I plugged RCA cables from the Yamaha's TAPE REC OUT to the Power amps R & L channels, but don't get any sound from the speakers. Then I tried connecting the Yamaha to the Preamp input 2 and still heard nothing through the speakers. I did hear the LP through my headphones when I plugged them in to the Yamaha, but nothing through the speakers...help!

1. make sure speakers are connected to AVR and not to Yamaha

2. engage TAPE MONITOR switch on your Yamaha front panel

:)  I got it!  Sounds great, detailed with amazing sound stage!  No buying a phono stage!  Thanks to all who contributed!!!  I guess my next purchase will be a vinyl cleaner!  Suggestions?