Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

Unfortunately, the more I read about HPF, the less inclined I am to use them: everything that I’ve read so far indicates that their use does impact SQ.

Additionally, here’s a paragraph about higher order HPF influencing signal moreso than lower order HPF (but it is just the internet, which could be wrong):

Although there is no limit to the order of a filter that can be formed, as the order of the filter increases so to does its size. Also, its accuracy declines, that is the difference between the actual stop band response and the theoretical stop band response also increases.

Learning about subwoofers is an exercise! I’m not sure whether I should proceed in this direction, given the components in my system. . . although, it would be interesting to compare any differences in SQ with a properly installed digital HPF with subwoofer, which replaces my pre-amplifier / amp / ESL system currently. But that might be a project for another time. . .

@rsf507 talking about $60,000 Phono stages is not that relevant to most people either

@mijostyn agree but it's a more interesting read than all this talk about sub integration. At least start a separate thread on subs. That was my point.

There are pros and cons to any decision. Yes, take your time to find your own set of goals and the best methods for achieving them. It’s more fun that way, besides.

@rsf507

Yes, to a casual observer, you may wonder why we are talking about subwoofers on a thread that started with phono stages. Well, the phono stage question was resolved rather quickly and emphatically in the first few pages of the thread, with a brief foray into amplifiers. However, three of the five of the regular contributors to this thread all have the same ESL speakers, so that’s probably the main reason I thought it was best to continue any detailed discussion about my sound system on this thread, as opposed to starting another one in the speakers section. Additionally, there are many other factors that one can consider: I think that individuals that listen to vinyl have a sound in common that they appreciate; additionally, at the level of system we’re talking about, I would probably have to sort through a hundred posts about average equipment; whereas, here, most realize that we are discussing very high end equipment.

Thanks.

@drbond : "" I was thinking that the crossover should be below the lowest cello note, which is 44 Hz, as I wouldn’t want the cello to sound like it’s jumping around. ""

As lewm posted and this tstaement confirmed you are a truly novice on sub’s integration to a room/system. That " jumping around " never happens with not the " ultimate " subs/speakers but with any just decent integration.

As lewm posted almost all sub’s in the market comes with lo/high pass filters so you don’t need to add other part but IC cables and that’s it.

Don’t ask your self, as you did it, that will be a " degradation " before your sub’s integration for that trial/tests because the rewards here compensates any degradation you could think. Do it a favor: " don’t think or imagine ", you was who posted to make that trial/test so and with all respect just do it, up to you but can’t pre-judge before listen it. Again, sub’s are not like a change of amps or a cartridges or tonearms, is totally new for you: how can or could you pre-judge with out listen it in your room/system?.

Velodyne is only an option to make that " trial " and if you don’t like just return and put on sale the sub’s. No, the crossover frequency must be not at " 44hz " but at least at 80hz to take advantage of all sub’s/speakers/amps rewards.

Btw, any top room/system ( like yours. ) with passive speakers receives several rewards with the sub's integration.

R.