Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

Drbond, I’d have to hear it myself to get a feel for what you’re describing. To begin with, for me bloom and the sense of ambiance are two different sensations. It makes sense to me that studio recordings where there is no audience and the recording engineer has greatest control really ought to give the listener the sense that musicians are in the room, or at least one is more likely to get that sensation under such circumstances. Club or live concert recordings ought to bring us to the venue, because the recording usually contains ambient cues. If my gear can achieve both illusions depending on the source material, I’m usually happy.

@lewm , in my mind, simple as it is, there is only one "right." Everything else is distortion. The "right" is what is in or on the recording. I admit that it is not always easy to determine exactly what "right" is. The most sensitive aspect of a recording is the image. I will go with whatever produces the most specific image. 

@drbond , again my experience mirrors yours. I prefer solid state in general. I am not familiar with Ypsilon equipment. We use the same tonearm and I have  a Lyra Atlas SL coming any day now (for 6 months). So, it seems we have very similar tastes. I have been waiting for Mark Dohmann to add vacuum clamping to the Helix. What are you driving the Soundlabs with?

@holmz 

I'm not the most knowledgeable about different turntables, so my experience is rather limited.  I've only had a Rega P3, Rega P8, and then made a (very large) jump to the Dohmann Helix One Mk2.  The audiophile friend who's been in vinyl for decades was very impressed with the Dohmann.  Coming from the Rega P8, it's a world of difference:  a vast improvement in every aspect:  detail and clarity most obviously improved to my ears.  

@lewm 

Yes, I'm probably not describing it very well, and we're probably talking about different aspects of the sound quality.  The "bloom" that I hear from the tubes is what makes me feel most like the instruments are in the room with me (which is not a real experience at all, but rather a very engaging experience).  The ambiance of feeling like I'm in the audience is not the same to me as the sense that the musicians are reverberating within my head, or "in the room" per se (the "bloom", as I'm describing it).  

@mijostyn 

:-)  Yes, I think we have quite similar musical tastes:  I am driving the Sound Lab 745 PX's with the Ypsilon Hyperions mostly, although I'm also using Lamm M2.2's.  Both do an excellent job to my ears, and both are hybrid amplifiers.  

Let me know how you like the Lyra Atlas SL, when it arrives.  I've personally moved on from the Koetsu Urushi Black, and replaced that cartridge with a My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum.  I'm not sure which I enjoy more between the Lyra Atlas and the MSL. . . both are excellent MC cartridges.  

@drbond  Well, that is a riot. My other cartridges are a Signature Platinum and an MC Diamond and I am not a huge Koetsu fan. The MSL is a lovely cartridge. The Atlas will be the last cartridge for a while. I need to replace my preamp processor and I am building a new set of subwoofers. 

@drbond  stated on 4/29/2022 11:39 "Thanks for the recommendations, but both the CS Port C2 EQM 2 and the EMT 128 (both of which are but phono stages, and look like high quahily products) only have one input.  With my two tonearms, I would prefer a phono stage with two inputs". 

Yes this thread hasn't seen replies for over 2 months but I was searching for info on the CS Port phono eq C2EQM2 b/c thinking of getting one in to hear and saw drbond's comment regarding it. From the CS Port website it states: One MC and two MM cartridges are also supported, three inputs in total. Just thought I'd set the record straight.