Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

Well, there’s not much like a new turntable and phono stage to leave room for adjustments:  a member suggested that I adjust the VTA because of the brightness I was hearing, so I lowered the tonearm about 0.75 mm, and the brightness that I previously heard is gone.  I am now running full gain (25db) through the current mode MC input, and it sounds great, very sonorous, and without that brightness.  The “gain wizard” software still suggests to run at 15db gain, based on the test record included with the phono stage, but I guess I figure that if 15db is good, 25db must be better!  
With the gain increased, it sounds like I moved from the mid-back of the auditorium to the front.

Thanks for everyone’s recommendations!

Dear @drbond  : Well time to enjoy MUSIC, good ! ! !

Only to understand that current mode PS designs has no real advantage with any LOMC cartridge. This post came from a person with high knowledge technical levels and through his post puts true ligth on that current vs voltage kind of designs, read carefully especialyy its conclusion:

R.

Dear @drbond  : You said that your manual 25db gain set up like you the more that what was the CH gain choosed for that cartridge .

However the CH calculated gain has an advantage:

" The P1 comes with a test LP designed to work with the P1's internal distortion analyzer. With the test LP playing, the P1 Gain Wizard will read the test signal and automatically choose a gain level which yields the lowest signal to noise ratio.  "

You posted if 15db is good 25db must be better and maybe is not that way.

In the other side are you listen it with the standard inverse RIAA eq. or with the Neumann pole?

Btw, that brigthness that you did not like it sounded with both cartridges you own?

R.

@drbond  : I hope/could understand that the listening  SPL from the speakers stays the same with or with out the changes you did it. Is it that way?

R.