Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

Maybe a Brinkmann Edison MK II, I have not heard one yet, but does have a complement of various settings...

Steve

@vassilis_t 

Thanks for sharing your set up.  Are you able to describe any audible differences that can be attributed to the Ypsilon VPS vs the FM Acoustics 122?  Have you tried to switch one phono stage from one system to the other to listen for any changes?

I read some about the Zanden, but I'm currently not too interested; however I did read some about the Allnic H8000 DHT, which sounds intriguing, but there aren't many reviews of that item.  Superficially, what attracts my attention to the Allnic is the transformer coupled nature and no negative feedback (similar to Ypsilon), features which I seem to appreciate,  . 

@drrsutliff 

I'll have to look closer at the DSA Phono III.  Have you heard it?  What can you compare it to?  Any particular attributes that you appreciate? 
Thanks. 

@drbond

I currently own the following,  DSA II, Boulder 2008, and Nagra classic with dual MC and external power supply.   The Nagra , in my system is better than the other two.  I have had the Ypsilon SE in my room for extended periods,  and preferred the Nagra.   A dear friend has both Ypsilon line stage and phono SE, together they sound sublime.  I highly recommend both Ypsilon and Nagra.  I have never listened to the FM.  Good luck. 

Jose

I own the DSA Phono2. My previous phono preamp was a VAC so they are both excellent but different. The DSA phono preamps have 3 inputs (both RCA and XLR) and each will remember the setting for that input. I have two tonearms on my table one with a Miyajima Madake and the other with an Ortofon Windfeld Ti. The Phono3 has added circuit improvements and a remote enabling adjustment of loading while seated and listening. There is adequate amplification to handle almost any cartridge and many loading options. The Phono2 starts at 25ohms and can be increased in 25 ohm increments up to 1575 ohms. The Phono3 may have ever small incremental increases available. The Phono3 I have listened to is improved over the Phono2 IMO. Micheal Fremer has done a preliminary review on the original DSA Phono3 unit and Greg Weaver from TAS (I think) and Positive Feedback owns and uses the DSA Phono2 as his reference in many reviews. There is also a review of the DSA Phono2 on the Mono and Stereo site.