Phono Stage Recommendation $3000

Hi Guys
Want to upgrade my Phono Stage. 
Currentky I have 2 TTs, a Project Debut Carbon with a Denon DL 103R paired to a Project Tube Box DS. My second TT is a Clearaudio Preformence DC with a Dynavector Karat D17 paired to an Avid Pellar. Rest of my equipment is B&W 800d, Classe CTM 600, Ayre KX-R. As most of my system I would like a tube phono if possible and 2 Inputs if at all doable. 
srafi

Showing 3 responses by almarg

I also called Keith and ordered my VTPH-2 directly from him.

Regards,
-- Al

Hello Kalali,

Your question is a good one, but I believe it has a good answer.  The OP mentioned in the initial post that he uses an Ayre KX-R line stage.  The KX-R has an extremely high input impedance of 1 megOhm single-ended or per phase balanced, which no reasonably designed phono stage will have a problem driving.  (John Atkinson's measurements in Stereophile essentially confirmed that number, btw). 

Also, the KX-R provides an independent gain adjustment for each input covering a range of 0 to +6 db.  Finally, as stated in its manual:
...there is a single resistor per channel that sets the overall gain range. This gain resistor is mounted in a terminal block and can be changed without the need for soldering. 
So compatibility with what would be downstream of any of the phono stages that have been suggested shouldn't be an issue in this case.

Best regards,
-- Al

Rather than limiting your range of choices by looking for a phono stage providing two LOMC inputs, you might consider choosing a phono stage providing one LOMC input and one MM input, and using the MM input in conjunction with a SUT.

The combination of a Herron VTPH-2 and a Bob’s Devices SUT would provide that functionality, with a rear panel switch allowing you to select the desired input. Although if purchased new the two items would total about 60% more than your budget.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al