Phono stage gain too high??? Should I return it??

Just purchased a used ARC PH-7 and am wondering if it is defective as the gain seems awfully high.  I have it running into an ARC LS-27, and it's fed by a Project RPM10 with Sumiko BlackBird Hi Output (2.5mV output, 47K ohm).  I was expecting it to be the lowest gain input in my system, but it's so loud, I cannot set the LS-27 anything over 7/8 (my digital input, Schiit Bifrost is in the 12-16 range), and it does not go soft enough for late night listening.  

The only way I can get it to a reasonable gain level is to set the load at the lowest setting (100 ohms), which totally squashes the dynamic range.

The seller gave me a 30-day return window.  I really like the PH-7 in terms of tone, but is something wrong with it??  It's rated at 57.5 db gain which is modest by most standards, I think.  I have other phono stages rated at 60+ db and in my system, they exhibit LESS gain.  How is this possible??
tswei99
The gain of the PH7 is fixed at 57.5db, which in my view is a bit high for a high output cartridge.

However, on your LS27 line stage you can configure the gain for each input individually ( Low, medium, high). My suggestion would be to set the phono at 47k and reduce the gain of the phono input on the LS27 linestage to the lowest possible - low.

Furthermore be aware that the single ended output ( RCA ) has half the gain of the balanced ouput ( XLR ), so this can be factored into your set up options..
I agree with the above post. 57db is too much gain for a the high output cartridge you are using. You should return the PH7 or replace the BlackBird with a lower output cartridge. Another option is to add an attenuator between the PH7 and the LS27.
 http://www.schiit.com/products/sys
The OP's comment about other phono stages with 60dB working well is confusing at best. Anything with higher than 50dB gain only works well with a LOMC cartridge unless your line stage is super low gain borderline passive. Something doesn't add up.
There’s nothing wrong with the PH-7 other than compatibility with your cart. I have the PH-7 and the gain works well with .5mv to .8 mv.
The 60+ dB rated phono pre you mention is for the MC setting. You’re no doubt using the MM setting which has much less gain plus the recommended 47K load for the Blackbird HO.