Phono Stage Amp

I have a mid-level to low end turntable. (Music Hall 11.1) and a low end decent Phono Stage Music Fidelity M1. Good tonearm and good cartridge. 

I listen to JAZZ so volume isn't too much of an issue, but sometimes I just want it loud. I have Cary Audio slp-05 tube pre and the Cary Audio mono block main tube amps as drivers

I crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion. Below half way the sound is incredible. The records sound better than the corresponding CD or, of course, DAC streaming.

Would upgrading my phono-stage to one with greater boost help me? Or is that half (my whole phono system) of my system as good as it could get?  

128x128cinqcepages

Showing 7 responses by rodman99999

If your system is capable of providing a satisfying SPL, with your CD/digital sources (typical output: around 2V), but: not with the output of your analog rig; the problem is obviously the lack of voltage from the phono stage.

Either seek a higher mV output cartridge or a phono stage with greater gain.

The Goldring Legacy (if that's the, "Legacy", to which you refer) is a LOMC (.25mV).

Is your phono stage designed for LOMCs (60dB of gain, or better)?

@cinqcepages -

Trying to find the gain specs for your phono stage, with no joy thus far.

The following review does mention that your M1 has less than the 60dB I brought up and possible problems, with LOMCs (carts of <1 mV output):

ttps://www.remusic.it/EN/Musical-Fidelity-M1-ViNL-phono-preamp-b5abd500

Can’t swear to anything, but: that’s the first place I’d look, for a solution.

From the OP:

"... with volume halfway up on the SLP-05 using an Audia Flight CD* player the volume is very high and no distortion."

From the previously cited M1** review:

"I just want to add that, while the gain for the MM stage is 40 dB, the classic one, for the MC is below 60 dB. This will require a deep attention to the level of the cartridge output and, chiefly, to the input sensitivity of the other components of the audio chain, which has to be progressive, otherwise the risk is that the system will not perform correctly, also with very expensive components. This is a universal rule. Keep it always in mind when you assemble your hi-fi system."

*2V max output           **300mV max output

@cinqcepages -

Probably: the least expensive experiment, in order to narrow down your issue, would be to purchase/mount the cheapest MM cart available and see if it results in a satisfying SPL.

ie:

https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/best-turntable-cartridges-by-price-ttl-levels

Alternately: an SUT (easier to install/more expensive, probably), but: may increase noise/hum.

Personally: I'd be looking for a phono stage, capable of outputting between 1 and 2V, with greater gain than 60dB in the MC stage. 

@cinqcepages -

Woof brings up an interesting point.

Have you experimented with your loading buttons?

The recommendation for the Legacy is 100 Ohms, which the M1 provides.

Too high an input impedance on the M1, could be a major issue, with a LOMC.

Just my prediction:

The system will sound much better with an MM cartridge, or SUT, but: still lack his digital's OOMPH, unless the OP uses a juicier (higher voltage output) phono stage.

Happy listening!