Phono's $2100 to $2600

Dear all I would be interested in hearing your thoughts for a phono upgrade.  What is driving this is that I recently got a Lyra Delos and a Nordost Heimdall phono cable as presents- the sound is simply in another league than before (prior cartidge was Benz low output glider).  So now hooked- all I want to do is spin vinyl all day and all night!

The rig is VPI Aries 1 with upgraded footers, separate flywheel, and synchronose drive- the phono stage is a Trigon Vanguard II and this in turn is hooked into Prima Luna Dialogue premium (using nos 12au7's).  The amps are Pass labs xa60.5 mono's driving Thiel 3.7's.

For a long time I was looking to upgrade the preamp but now I think I will got for the phono 1st and consider a new line preamp later on unless I find a full function preamp to do it all in one shot- obviously I would have to up my budget.

Anyway, assuming I just look at the phono I think I have narrowed my choices to the following with my budget:
1. Zesto Andros (about $2.1k used)
2. Sutherland 20/20 ($2.2k new)
3. Allnic 1202 ($2.6k used)

Potentially I could also look at the PS Audio Stellas phono (the advantage here is that I can trade in my trigon for full retails $500).  And lastly, completely out of left field I have to say I have this urge to try a Sutherland PHD which just sounds like a wonderful phono that made a mark (and would be about $1k or so).

I should also add the Herron that seems to have quite a following but they simply do not show up used so I have put that one aside for the time being.,

I realize I should listen to these in my system but if buying used I can't always do that so I would very much like to get your opinions.   The system sound good but I would like better soundstage depth and texture/detail- but without going overboard on the latter.

pgastone

Showing 2 responses by barolobrain

I have been using a Andros 1.2 for over 12 months now, feeding a BAT integrated and very happy with the results.  Your Delos should provide enough output to pair well with the Jensen 44 trannies (10:1) used in the Andros MC stage.  When I I use my ZYX Airy3 and a Dynavector XV-1s, much lower output than the Delos, I feed it through a DIY SUT with Jensen 347s at 24:1.  I'm guessing that the line stage sensitivity on your PL is higher than my BAT so probably not an issue.
Over the years and prior to the Andros 1.2 I used a ARC PH3SE with and without a SUT depending on cart, a Cary PH-301MM with an SUT, ARC SP-11 MkII with and without an SUT.  All with various carts.  It really gets down to system matching.

Interesting that the Zesto, Allnic and Modwright all use transformers for their MC inputs.  Not sure if you're looking at a Andros 1 or 1.2 for $2,100 but if you can get a 1.2 at that price, I'd buy it. 
I paid two Benji's under your upper limit for my Andros 1.2,.  It was an Agon ad for a brick and mortar store in the Boston area that's been around forever.  Made an offer and they accepted.  As a buyer and seller, phono stuff does not fly out the door.  What I found as a seller is that very few people make offers.
I like tubes in my phono pre's but having had a lot of tube equipment, I know that I have a weakness to tube roll and wonder how much life was left.  I had a tube tester so you know it was bad.  The NVO and something like the Aesthetix Rhea would drive me bonkers.  The Andros is pretty simple and ECC83s are cheap.  All the units mentioned in this thread will give you listening pleasure and based upon your description of what you listen to and listen for are what you want.  I believe the PS Audio unit will give you the most flexibility for the future, be reliable and provide ease of service being made in the US.  Good luck with your decision.