Phono Preamp w/ Rumble Filter

Looking for suggestions on a Phono PreAmp under $5k new or used that has a rumble filter and balanced outs. Seems these two options greatly reduce choices. Rumble is a must, may can do w/o XLR. Current TT is a Denon 100th Anniversary with a 110 Anniversary MC cart, but may eventually upgrade them as well. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xstephens770

@mlsstl - interesting. Only experiencing the rumble with the turntable, not CDs or stream. Will look into this, thank you!

Current TT is a Denon 100th Anniversary with a 110 Anniversary MC cart, but may eventually upgrade them as well. 

If your phono is set up correctly you should not have problems with rumble. My speakers are flat to 20Hz and my preamp (including phono) has bandwidth to 2Hz. Yet rumble isn't a problem.

If your cartridge has compliance too high for the mass of the arm/cartridge combination, you will get excessive low frequency motion on the cantilever as the cartridge tracks the LP- its nothing to do with the turntable unless the 'table has a serious problem!

The rumble filter will introduce a low frequency pole that you will notice (if you still have the Betas) as a loss of bass impact and extension. I'm of the opinion that its better to solve the problem than put a band-aid on it that degrades the sound. Put another way you need either a lower mass tonearm or a lower compliance cartridge.

@atmasphere - Thank you, I truly appreciate your reply. Not using the Betas currently, but with a Rel line array either way can sacrifice a little bass for fewer headaches. I thought the Denon/Denon combo would be an easy fit.

I ended up purchasing the KAB Rumble filter.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rf1.htm 

Haven't had a chance to install yet, but initial impression is high quality and first class product and service. Won't be able to use balanced outs but worth a shot.

If this works as expected, I'll probably take the previous advice from @ ghdprentice and look for an AR PH8 and use the KAB rumble filter with it. Will report out after install.

Thanks to all.

To follow up on this for others that may be experiencing the same issue now or in the future. The KAB worked exceptionally. Not only is the rumble gone, but the entire presentation is cleaner and more detailed. The sound quality through my Analysis panels on mids/highs is also better. Not sure if the KAB needs burn in time, but even out of the box only positives to report.

I may want to look into some of the above suggestions to determine if I can correct the inherent issue, but for now I'm enjoying my Vinyl again in peace with improved sound for a $179 investment!