Phono Pre Gain

I'm considering purchasing a Audio Technica AT-ART9XA for a 1210g. I have a Sutherland 2020 pre that only put out 64db of gain. I've read that the AT requires at least 66db of gain. Anyone have any experience with this? Will the 64db be enough? I'm also considering an Ortofon Cadenze Bronze, but the price point of the AT is very appealing.

ecrotty

Ask Ron Sutherland.

But be aware that total system gain (including the sensitivity of your speakers amp and line stage) is what really matters.

herb

A friend emails Sutherland about using his VdHull and did not hear back for a month or two…
The response was something along the lines of, “It would not have been a good match when you emailed, but it is now.”

It is possible that the know what works with his preamps… in fact it is likely that he does.I would not let the opportunity to make the call pass by… but I mentioned that yesterday or the day before.

Ron emailed me back yesterday and said that it would be fine. So I guess I'm going with the 9XA! Thanks to all who contributed!!

My phono stage has 64dB gain and it’s enough for an SPU Royal N quoted at 0.2mV. you won’t have a problem with the similar output from the AT beyond maybe remembering to turn the volume down a little when switching to a digital input.

@ecrotty 

I have a 20/20 and had the ART9XA (big ART9 fan).  

I thought the XA sounded very good but wanted more than the 64db gain.  Good but not great and definitely not optimum.  

The Original ART9 at .5mv sounded much better.  I would suggest the XI for you.  

If you can stretch for a Lyra Delos (an online retailer with the initials UA gives a decent discount) is the best cartridge  I have heard and is significantly better that the ART9.  I also had the Ortofon Cadenza Blue which was just a touch better than the ART9- the '9 was cleaner and more refined though.