Phono hum

Help! I have a VPI Scout with Dynavector 10x5, Bellari VP129 phono preamp, Anthem TLP1 preamp/tuner and Anthem MCA2 power amp. I have a hum problem I can't get rid of that I didn't have with my Music Hall MMF-5Se turntable. I tried the VPI interconnects (with the integrated ground wire running from the turntable ground to the VP129 ground terminal) and that lessened the hum but it's still there. I also have a loud pop when powering off the Scout motor. The TLP1 has no phono section so I am using the sat/aux input for the turntable. I've run a ground wire from the center screw on the AC outlet to the chassis ground screw on the preamp and that made little if any difference. Any suggestions?
Ag insider logo xs@2xkmulkey

Showing 1 response by strat1117

Hum prblems can be very frustrating, and there are no hard and fast rules because everything depends upon everything else, from the components in your system to the wiring in your house. That being said, you should try connecting the ground wire from the tonearm to the PREAMP, instead of the phono section. This will usually lead to a much quieter background. The phono section will be grounded to the preamp through the line level interconnects.

Good luck!