PHONO-Hagerman's Cornet or Wright Sound WPP200C

Hi.
I'm looking for advice, recommendations and fellow audiogoners with experience with above mentioned phono preamps.

I'm about to put my hands on LENCO 75 NOS and if everything goes well I will receive it in a week or two.

I'm planing to build my own plinth, replace original arm with MG-1 linear arm, and Denon 103R cartridge. Plinth will be probably made with combination of birch ply. and MDF ( it is going to be a massive and heavy plinth finish with high gloss - Ferrari Red paint ). As you can probably see, I can not wait to start this project.

One problem.
I was searching web and reading a lots of threads in order to find the right phono-stage. Now it is a toss up between Hagerman's - Cornet and Wright Sound - WPP200C.

Witch one of these do you think will be my best choice?
mrjstark

Showing 6 responses by restock

In an attempt to simplify my system (too many single small pieces standing around), I am trying out the JLTI phono (made by ALLAN Wright) at twice the price. On first listen it is very close to the (George) Wright WPP200c in terms of texture and detail retrieval, but more extension on the bottom end. Spatial imaging and separation between instruments is enhanced as well. More on the comparison soon.

The Wright WPP200C is excellent - make sure to get a good step-up if using MC cartridges, such as Lundahl or Cinemag.

Tvad, yes I meant low output MC. By they way, even with the Medium Ace I woould try a step-up, maybe a 1:5 ratio. Even the low output Benz had enough gain with the Wright, but sounded somewhat anemic. Inserting a step-up helped tremendously. Worth a try!
The low output Benz I tried was of course half the output of yours at 0.4mV. Also, for some reason I preferred matching output impedances through different step-up ratios rather than through resistors. Never tried the medium Benz Ace though.
I have no experience with the MMII as well, but doubt that you will find much better than the Denon DL103R for the money. The Wright, Lundahl transformers, and Denon DL103R are a great match.
The Denon is very low output and would require an additional step-up to increase the gain before the Wright preamp. The Lundahl step-up can be found at K&K ($335 assembled). Alternatively, you can buy the WMT100 step-up by George Wright which is about $275 with an order of a new WPP200C.

You could run the Denon directly but it will sound much better and quieter with the additional gain.
Mingles,

As much as I like the Wright, the JLTI just has more resolution, especially in
terms or imaging, layering of images, and separation of instruments. The JLTI
get attack and decay or notes right and captures the tone of natural
instruments better than anything I heard in this price range. The Wright
sounded soft and blurred in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the Wright is
still an excellent phono and compares well to the EAR 834 and many other
phonos I heard.

I sent you an email with some more impressions - I hope that helps.