Phono cartridge for a Technics SL-1200 TT?

I recently unpacked my Technics SL-1200 turntable (the original mark 1 version), which I bought new back in 1974 and used carefully over the years -- but haven't used in more than 10 years. I purchased a Parasound phono amp and a Shure M97-xE cartridge to go along with it (and an Anthem pre-pro and Dali speakers) -- and it sounds pretty good. But, can I do better than the Shure cartridge with this setup? I'd love to listen to more vinyl. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
davidwb

Showing 3 responses by vinyladdict

... and now for something completely different!

KEEP the M97xE and replace the stylus with the Jico SAS stylus available from: stylus.export-japan.com

My analog setup is as follows:

TURNTABLE:
KAB/Applied Fidelity/Technics SL-1200MK2SE
- Applied Fidelity Bearing Modification
- Applied Fidelity Cardas Tonearm Rewire
- Cardas HSL PCC-E Headshell Leads
- Vampire RCAs
- KAB TD-1200 Tonearm Fluid Damper
- KAB PS-1200 Outboard Power Supply
- KAB SX-1200 Strobe Disabler
- Gilabend Bren1 Lite Record Weight
- Isonoe Turntable Feet

CARTRIDGE:
- Shure M97xE + Jico SAS Stylus

PHONO STAGE:
- PS Audio GCPH Gain Cell Phono Stage

I have run many many cartridges on this setup including several Audio-Technica, Denon, Garrott Brothers, Nagaoka, and $1,000+ Dynavectors; the lowly $60 Shure M97xE with the $129 Jico is my cartridge of choice.

I'm not one to throw around hyperbole, but the difference between the SAS stylus and the stock stylus is "dramatic" in the truest sense of the word. I seriously doubt you'll want for more. For the first time in a very long time, I don't!
Johnnyb53, it is the first one - the N97xE replacement stylus. The other one is for the Jico MM1 cartridge not the M97xE.
nothing to it - you just have to careful.

On the M97xE, just lower the brush assembly on the stock stylus until it locks in place right below the stylus and cantilever. It will act as a sort of "stylus guard" at this point. Don't force it, you'll feel it stop in the right place.

Grasp the stylus assembly by gently "pinching" with your thumb and forefinger the small metal bolts holding the brush assembly on and gently pull forward. The whole stylus assembly will come out of the cartridge body.

Set the stock stylus aside and CAREFULLY remove the SAS stylus from the boneheaded packaging Jico uses. They ship the SAS stylus with the brush assembly / stylus guard in the "up" position - I guess they didn't want to have to make special packaging for just this stylus.)

Gently insert the male end of the stylus into the female socket of the cartridge body (yeah, baby, that's it...) Don't force it, it should slide right in and firmly hold in place once completely inserted. Do make sure it's fully seated.

Adjust your VTF to 1.25g (+/- .25g), I use 1.35g. It will require a bit of VTF tweaking due to the stock stylus being a tad heavier and I'd double check the alignment just to be safe.

That's it!