Phono cartridge for a Technics SL-1200 TT?

I recently unpacked my Technics SL-1200 turntable (the original mark 1 version), which I bought new back in 1974 and used carefully over the years -- but haven't used in more than 10 years. I purchased a Parasound phono amp and a Shure M97-xE cartridge to go along with it (and an Anthem pre-pro and Dali speakers) -- and it sounds pretty good. But, can I do better than the Shure cartridge with this setup? I'd love to listen to more vinyl. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
davidwb

Showing 1 response by sutherk

I own a Technics SL-1700 Mk2 turntable and have just replaced a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge (I thought I'd damaged it but subsequent microscopic inspection has found it was simply clogged with a strange wood-like fragment) with a ZYX Omega-X.

I have the turntable sitting on BDR No 4 cones on top of a 30mm (1.2 inch) thick acrylic slab. I can thump the plinth with my finger with no feedback through the system.

You won't be disappointed with either of these cartridges, however the ZYX Omega-X is simply in a class way above the Sumiko Blackbird but it depends on the budget.

I don't get any audible rumble, nor do I hear any of the motor noise associated with the tonearm's auto-return function as the sound is muted prior to the motor engaging.

I recommend these two high-end cartridges with the Technics DD TT's in my experience.