Phone preamp question

Guys, can I take a phono preamp (Bellari vp130 mk2) which has a gain control and plug it directly into an amp (Odyssey Audio Stratos) using the gain control as a volume control or do I need a preamp? If I need a preamp, will a non powered passive one do anything? Thanks!

thecarpathian

@yogiboy ,

Agreed. I've bought several on EBay myself with zero problems.

I guess my point was, which I didn't convey well is given the voluminous amount of sellers there, as always, check seller feedback and transaction numbers.

You might disagree but you are still wrong. How can call something a preamplifier when does not amplify the signal?

It sits where a preamp sits, and switches inputs like a preamp.

Also most preamps attenuate, so the amplifier part is not amplifying, and not really doing impedance matching like a power amp does.

+1@ sleepwalker65

Passive Preamplifier In essence is merely a volume control designed to attenuate the signal going from the source (usually a CD player) to the amplifier. Since it is passive, it has no inherent gain because it has no active components (tubes or transistors) in the signal path.

Passive Preamplifier In essence is merely a volume control designed to attenuate the signal going from the source (usually a CD player) to the amplifier. Since it is passive, it has no inherent gain because it has no active components (tubes or transistors) in the signal path

^That^ is all true, but an active preamp is almost always an attenuation device too.
The active does have a lower output impedance.

By using neither one, the OP saved needing another cable.

If anyone is still interested, I just replaced the "Ruby" that came with the Bellari with an nos Amperex. Sounds really, really good. The quality sound coming out of this little pre is really something for the price. Also a testament to what a higher quality tube can mean for the sound in a given system.

What the set up is:

Dual 1264 turntable in pristine condition I picked up for $100.

Odyssey Audio Stratos designed by Symphonic Line amplifier in pristine condition for $250.

Bellari vp130 mk2 with custom power supply for $200.

Nos Amperex tube for $20.

B&W CDM1NT’s bookshelves and B&W ASW 650 subwoofer I already had that are really for home theater duty and various cables I already had.

So for a $570 layout, some mighty fine sound!