Philips DVD 963 SA....your thoughts??

I'm looking to buy a new DVD player, that I suspect will end up in the bedroom. The player will ultimately be matched with either a Samsung DLP RPTV (43” or 50”) or the Panasonic Plasma 4P (again 43”-50”). TV size will depend on how big the furniture that’s coming this week actually is in the room...

This isn't my main system, but I will need a progressive scan DVD player for this system, given the TV's I'm looking at (currently running a Pioneer Elite DV-09 in the Living room...until I upgrade this!). The DVD player will also be my CD player in this system, and for the pool area. The SACD is an added bonus in this unit, but all and all, barely a factor for me.

OK, onto the real questions:

1) What do you all think of this player?? Video, Audio, CD, and, OK SACD??

2) Any experience with it?

3) Any other units I'm missing/ you'd recommend??

As for the rest of the system, it's also kind of up in the air. I'm thinking of going mid-Fi with something like a Sunfire Theatre Grand III and a Proceed Amp 5 or HPA 2 and 3 (OK maybe not mid-fi!) Speakers are currently JSE 1.0's for fronts, Snell K.5 surrounds, and center will likely go to a Snell CC.5, Sub will be either a Sunfire Ture sub (for space considerations, or a Velodyne HGS 15/18... The bedroom is pretty large @ 24' x 13.5' but the TV will be against the long wall, part way down from the middle, as the pool doors are in the center, so the effective area I'm looking at for a HT setup is really more like 15'x13.5', with the ‘sitting area’ on the other end of the room.

I appreciate any input you all have, as I need to buy a DVD player soon as the youngest’s just died, and therefore my old one will go to her… I’ll need a new one!

Thanks!

Ken
kennyt

Showing 1 response by marianodona709a