Perreaux SM2 Pre and 2150B Power amp Gain is out of control

Hi, Very new to Audiogon and looking for help.  I picked up a Perreaux SM2 Pre and 2150B Power amp and the gain is out of control.  Normal listening level on pre volume is 1-1.5 or 7:00 o'clock and 3 is way too loud on both 88 db speakers and even louder on 96 db speakers.  I am using a laptop set to 10 in the OS and and 10 in the software,  into project prebox 2 DAC set to to into the SM2 Pre, them AMP and finally ZU speakers (and sometimes NHT)  It's also very loud using a vintage Technics 1650 Turntable.  What to do?  I love the sound but can't listen well at low levels and I do this often.  Thank YOU!!!  John

Than
128x128johnwahl
Sorry the Pro Ject is also set to Max Volume 10 as recommended to maintain Bits of digital music.
Hi John,  I run the Perreaux factory-authorized service center in St. Louis, Missouri.  I've been servicing all of Perreaux's gear since the early 80's and I'm more than happy to help you with your Perreaux equipment.  I'm at www.precisionaudiolabs.com or you can find me at Perreaux's Contact page in New Zealand:   https://www.perreaux.com/contact
Perreaux told me how to fix this for the CD input. They suggested:

SM2 input sensitivity: 110mV

SM3 input sensitivity CD input: 350mV

There is a resistor attenuation network on the SM3 CD input, 10K inline from the RCA socket to input select, and a 22K from input select to Ground.

CD RCA - - - - 10K - - - - - Input select switch

GND - - - - - - -22K - -^

I hope that this information helps.