Perreaux amplifier 3150B - your opinion sought

I am considering getting the Perreaux 3150B amplifier. I am very keen to find out if anyone out there has had any experience with it or other perreaux amps in general. Another thing I noticed is that it is a mosfet design - any advantages or disadvantages? My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio 40's.

Is $800 a good deal?

Any help info or advice appreciated!

Thanks

Dynakid
dynakid055d

Showing 1 response by motorpsychos

As far as shorting the outputs goes. I accidently shorted out my output terrminals about a week ago. The rail fuses blew instantly but zero dammage to the amp or the mosfets.I put a peice of thick rubber between them now just to be safe. Sean's discription is rirght on the money. I also have two 2150b Perreaux amps and never have had any problems. The 3150 is a better amp though and IMHO thats saying alot as the 2150b's are very good also. The boards inside the 3150 are made of a better material. Basicly the 3150 builds on the earlier 2150b's and what they had learned from them. should be happy with it for a long time to come. And there are plenty of people that would be interested if you ever want to sell it. If you use heavy speaker cable as you should it with spades watch that they do not turn themselves and short out. It can be difficult to tightend the binding posts. You can't use a wrench on them as they are straight grooved aand kinda slippery. Also if you do over tightend them they may spin in the back pannel. I use WBT locking bananna connecters now and feel much better. Great amp and should give you many happy hours of good listening.