Performance of $1000 DAC's

I have been researching DAC's lately and as with most things in audio it leaves one with frustration.

Recent comments I have read have me questioning if DAC's in the $1000 range are thin soundinging.

Has anyone compared $1000 DAC's to much more expensive DAC's and/or CDP's? I'd be curious of your results.

DAC's I have been reading about have mostly been, the Benchmark, Bel Canto DAC3 and the PS Audio Dig Link DAC III, with and without mods.

Any input on your DAC experiences would be most appreciated, BUT I would really prefer that posts include what you compared the DAC to, even if it is the DAC within your CDP that you are bypassing. Also, listing associated equipment would be greatly appreciated.
brianmgrarcom

Showing 1 response by cerrot

I have a Benchmark Dac 1 (no USB) with a Nordost digital cable, Shunyata Taipan Vx Helix Power Cable into Hydra 8 and Masterlink Alesis 9800 (on Walker Audio Valid Points, also Taipan Vx Helix PC, Tara Labs RSC One single ended interconnects from Benchmark to preamp) used as transport and compared to my Esoteric X03-SE (Tara Labs The One Balanced cable, Shunyata Python Vx Helix + Hydra 8 on Finite Elements Cera Pucs), the soundstage from the Esoteric is noticably deeper, richer, more transparent, better detail and dynamics~all in all obviously better sound. The masterlink really did came to life with the Benchmark, though I don't think it is a fair comparison as the complete CD Rig with cables is probably $10,000 vs probably $3k for the Alesis/Masterlink combo. The Benchmark is very musical and sounds wonderful, just not in the caliber of the Esoteric. I would like to try a more expensive DAC (maybe a Mark Levinson) but not going near there for a while. I'd love to hear other opinions.